Into the Lion's Den

Wizard of Quaz

By Marco L. Quazzo, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--Coach Bob Naso is composed and confident. He leans back easily in his office chair, eyeing his interviewer steadily.

The subject is football, more specifically. Columbia football. He says reassuring things like. "I feel comfortable going into this season, and I couldn't say that last year We're prepared to line up and play people this time around. We're better at every position except inside linebacker."

Soothing words indeed from a third-year coachstill trying to mold a successful football program. Listen to Naso talk for 20 minutes and you're liable to forget the Lions are coming off two straight 1-9 seasons. Traditionally, preseason is the time for high expectations, and at first glance. Naso seems to be taking advantage of the dwindling hours as the season opener approaches.

A second look reveals a different story, however Naso may have succeeded in instilling, a positive winning attitude among this year's Laons. Most of the team is sophomores and juniors. Ask a sophomore about the team and he'll say it's pretty good. Ask him why they were 1-9 last year, and he'll answer. "We were."

Naso is a magician at making people forget.

Columbia's coach likes to talk about his young players. He mentions John Witkowski, who shattered several sophomore passing records last year. Among this year's sophomores, there is Mike Moynihan (strong safety). Dan Upperco (tight end), and Kirk Adams (middle linebacker), all of whom start tomorrow in their first varsity game.

In the backfield, last year's leading rusher, junior Jim McHale, returns, joined by two sophomores. John Conlon, recruited heavily by Harvard two years ago, won't see action against the Crimson, but Jack Beatrice, younger brother to Tom (Harvard '81), will probably get a few handoffs.

It all adds up to a future that Naso hopes will rekindle memories of ancient glory at Baker Field. Columbia's home Outside the coach's office, the trophy room displays a weathered pigskin commemorating the Lions greatest victory. "Columbia 7. Stanford O. 1934 Rose Bowl," it reads. Around here they also talk about the 21-20 upset of Army in 1947, breaking the Cadets '32-game win streak. But recent history is largely brushed over, including Harvard's current three-wins-in-a-row slate against the Lions.

Naso doesn't underestimate Harvard. "They've got good size and talented people," he says. As for the Multitlex, Naso, who spent 12 years as Rutgers defense coordinator, talks about "mental preparation. "Columbia's defense has spent a week working on alignments and shifts.

The interview almost over. Naso returns to his confident tone. "We could have been a 500 team last year," he says, citing last-minute losses to Princeton, Brown and Cornell. "I think we've finally earned some respect from our opponents."

His visitor asks if Columbia will win on Saturday. "We're going to try like hell," he answers.