Campus Radicals Plan To Seek Council Seats

By Thomas H. Howlett

Several leaders of radical causes on campus said yesterday they plan to seek seats and support a progressive chairman on the new Undergraduate Council in mid October elections.

The concerted radical effort marks a major departure from the previous tactics of groups like the Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee (DSOC) and the South African Solidarity Committee (SASC) which have pursued their causes without representation in Harvard student government.

But activists--including Jamin B. Raskin '83, a former president of the Radcliffe. Harvard Peace Alliance and Michael I Anderson '83, a leading SASC organizer said representatives from their groups would seek to play a "major role" in Harvard first funded and centralized government.

"There is a growing concern offering student activists that we have to play a major role in the council." Raskin said adding he is "seriously considering" running for chairman of the 95 member council.

"I think it's important for someone with progressive politics to get involved," he said.

Anderson also said he will seek a place on the council which he called "legitimate and powerful."

Anderson said SASC and other organizations would promote "a single radical candidate for chairman with backing from a broad base of groups." He added, "Jamie [Raskin] would make a good chairman."

Radical groups have in recent years organized some of the campus's most publicized events. In 1981 the Committee on Central America organized in part by Raskin held a candlelight march protesting American involvement in 11 Salvador which attracted more than 1800 students.

Last year SASC helped mobilize campus opposition to a proposed retreat in University policy towards South Africa, which prompted a rare open meeting on the subject.

Student government in contrast has suffered from low attendance and ineffectiveness. The poor track record of the defunct Student Assembly prompted the formation of the Undergraduate Council, which will have a $55,000 budget and a direct link to Faculty committees.

Door to Door Publicity

All undergraduates will receive information about the council and an election schedule under their door today. The election literature was financed by the College and assembled by an election commission composed of House Committee chairmen.

Candidates for seats must register with House Committee chairmen of the Freshmen Council by October 8 Voting will take place October 14, 16. The council will convene for the first time on October 20 or 21. Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said yesterday.

The council provides for one representative for every 75 students in each House and from each of the four freshmen district and elected representatives will serve on one of five committees Academics Communications and Finance Residential Social or Students Services.

Other Groups Uncertain

While leaders of leftist groups were declaring their intentions several prominent campus organizations had less concrete plans for council participation Members of both the Harvard Conservative Club and the Harvard Republican Club said their groups had no similar plans to send members to the council.

Republican Club President Gregory J. Gross '83 said his group also has no current plans for the council elections. But when informed of the candidates of Raskin and Anderson, he said. "I think it's in the interest of all students to prevent this from happening."

Johathan I. Handel '83 outgoing president of the Gay and Lesbian Student Association and the only minority leader available for comment last night, also said his group had decided on no plan of action.

Leonard T. Mendonca '83, former chairman of the Students Assembly, which folded last year to make way for the new government, said to "impregnably" will not turn for an Undergraduate Council seat.

"I'd just as soon have some fresh faces rather than some of us who have put in our times and Burnt out," he said