Dean May Raise Funds On Asia Trip

By Michael W. Miller

Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky will have an opportunity to raise funds for the $350 million Harvard Campaign when he takes a week long trip to Japan next Friday.

Rosovsky's chief purpose in making the trip is to attend a Tokyo meeting of the 17 member board of directors of the Japan Fund a private investment concern that specializes in Japanese securities.

The dean a specialist in the Japanese economy, said yesterday, he would not be conducting Harvard related business during his visit and declined to discuss the trip further.

But Campaign Co-Chairman Robert G. Stone '45, who also serves on the Japan Fund's board of directors, said yesterday. "We will be trying to get some money for Harvard while we're there."

Fund Targets

Stone said he hoped to contact about four or five fundraising sources during the trip. The prime funding targets in Japan are foundations and corporation. "But there also a couple of extremely wealthy individuals we have our eyes on," Stone said.

He refused to identify the possible sources of donations explaining. "It might hurt our cause."

Rosovsky's precise role in any fundraising effort is still unclear, Stone said, adding. "He can help out with whichever targets he likes he is obviously a great help any time he comes along."

Coming Soon

Stone said the Japan Fund will finance his and Rosovsky's trip to Tokyo.

On his way to Tokyo, Stone said he plans to speak to three or four possible funding sources in Hong Kong, where he is stopping to take care of private investments.

Thomas M. Reardon, the University's director of development, said Harvard has not conducted any fundraising in Japan for eight years except for staying in touch with alumni who live in the country.

In 1973 and 1974 several Japanese corporations and the nations government contributed several million dollars to create Harvard's Japan Institute a center for research and teaching about the nation.

Japan's government and many of its corporations have long supported the study of Japan around the World Jonathan Mason the Japan Fund's chairman, said yesterday.

Harvard has a special appeal for Japan because of its association with University Professor Emeritus Edwin O. Reischauer who was a popular American ambassador to Japan during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations Mason said.

Mason described the Japan Fund as "one of the most successful in the fund business," attributing its performance to the rapid expansion of the Japanese economy. The fund has about 1500 investors.

Following his visit to Tokyo, Rosovsky will proceed to California where he will seek West Coast support for the Campaign