Hoopsters Clawed by Eagles, 55-50, Despite Gallant Second-Half Rally

By Carla D. Williams

The Harvard women's basketball team is almost to the point of playing a complete game. And "almost" would be fine if the cagers were playing horseshoes, or throwing hand grenades. But last night at Briggs Cage, the Crimson played Boston College, and almost beat them, losing 55-50, after rallying from a 20-point deficit.

After a first half that Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith termed "atrocious," the hoopsters played 100 percent, using a defensive play called. "One Hundred. "Led by the defensive play of Co-Captain Frenesa Hall, they stole the ball and converted with quick passing and sharp shooting from center Elaine Holpuch and freshman Lori Stewart, who led Harvard with 14 points.

The Crimson pulled to within nine when Co-Captain pat Home hit one of two free throws with 3,13 left, the first time it was at a single-figure deficit. Home snared the rebound of her second free throw, drove in to draw the foul, then went to the line to collect two more points.

Horne's teammates followed her lead Stewart grabbed boards with a minute left got fouled, and went to the line to collect. With 45 seconds left, the Crimson was only down by live, 52,47. All Harvard needed was the ball. But B.C held on the Crimson scored three more points, while the Eagles nearly matched its efforts, with two of then own from the line.

Coach Delaney Smith praised her team's comeback attempt. "I couldn't be prouder," she said "B.C is an excellent team, and probably one of the best coached teams around," she added, "I was just disappointed with our first-half play, because we had scouted them really well, and knew then of fense to a T."

For the first 10 minutes of play, it was difficult to tell that Harvard had made such a tight scouting report. The Eagles' baseline picks repeatedly caught up the Crimson defense B.C. used its forwards and low post to set fearsome picks that left the pocket shot open for some very sharp shooters Eagle Sally Madeira led all scores with eight points at halftime after hitting four of live. She finished up the game by leading all scorers with 17, just from waiting at the free throw line for passes.

Midway through the first ball. Delancy Smith called a time out, as Harvard trailed, 20-4. She wanted her players to call picks So, she used some of the team's depth. Out came five players, and in came live more Harvard started to talk and B.C. scoring efforts slowed.

But the ball handling and scoring efforts of B.C. freshman Rita Roach continued to perplex the Crimson defense. She dribbled through the press, and often found her team mates right beneath the basket. She also tallied 12 points.

Commented B.C. Coach Margo Plotzke on the game. "We played the worst game we've ever played. I don't think we really wanted to win as much as Harvard, and they nearly took it away from us." She noted. "Rita Roach had a really super game for a freshman. I was pleased with that."