Second 1983 Murder in Cambridge Under Investigation by Local Police

The shooting of a Somerville resident Sunday night was the second homicide in Cambridge within the new year.

Cambridge Police said the 29-year-old victim, Michael Povio, was found with gunshot wounds to the right side of his head. Povio was lying outside 226 Hurley St. in East Cambridge and was taken to Cambridge Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 11.55 p.m.

Povio, believed by police to be unemployed, was found after police received two anonymous calls. Police said yesterday they are unsure if Povio was attacked in the residential neighborhood where he was found because none of the callers reported hearing gunshots.

Three Cambridge patrolmen administered emergency treatment until a Cambridge ambulance arrived. Povio's wife, Susan, who has identified the victim as her husband, has not made any statement to police, police said.

"There are no suspects in the case but the investigation is ongoing," said Sgt. Timothy Toomey.

Within two hours of 1983, Cambridge had recorded its first murder of the year.

John Grimes, 41, of Cambridge, was stabbed to death at about 2 a.m. Saturday in front of the Porter Square Dunkin' Donuts.

Kevin Sullivan, 26, of Cambridge, was arrested and charged with first degree murder in connection with Grimes's death and was arraigned yesterday morning in the Middlesex District Court.

Sullivan, who is being held without bail, will go on trial January 13.

According to police, Grimes, his wife and another couple had left a New Year's. Eve party at a nearby restaurant when they saw Sullivan beating a woman later identified as Sullivan's wife.

Grimes tried to break up the fight and Sullivan stabbed him in the arm and back, police said. Sullivan left the scene but was apprehended within minutes, police said.

Grimes was taken to Cambridge Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 4 a.m.