Hanukkah, Coop

THE MAIL

This letter, addressed to Allan Powell, store manager of The Coop. was received by The Crimson.

Dear Mr. Powell.

I am writing with regard to my complaint to you that The Coop did not have Hanukkah paper with the other wrapping paper you were providing free for purchases from The Coop for over $15.00, to which you responded. "Find me a store that does." I still regard the oversight as a slight to the Jews in the Harvard community, and I still find it irrelevant as to whether other stores have Hanukkah paper. Nonetheless I did some checking and found out that Filene's uses blue paper and Jordan Marsh uses gold. In answer to my question. "Do you have Hanukkah paper?" both stores replied "yes" as opposed to The Coop, which replied "no." I think the answers reflect an attitude. I do not think that red and white paper with The Coop written all over it (your "neutral" paper) is appropriate for any holiday gift, especially a Hanukkah gift.

I am sending a copy of this letter to The Harvard Crimson because, not only do I think I am not the first Jewish person to be confronted with this issue, I don't think the Harvard community should go uninformed of the situation. Diane Hamer