Ruggles Taps Boozeless Beer To Overcome License Denial

After fighting a losing battle last winter for a city liquor license, Ruggles Pizza is stocking a selection of non-alcoholic "near beers" that owners hope will satisfy brew-drinking customers.

Ruggles currently offers three brands--Swiss Moussy, French Sant'or, and American Metbrau. Ruggles marketing manager Paul D. Meltzer expects to add at least three more labels to that list in the next week.

"We plan to maintain the widest stock of non-alcoholic brews available," said Meltzer. "Basically, we want to be able to say something other than 'no' when people walk in the door and ask for beer," he added.

Since Ruggles opened last November, its lack of a liquor license has translated into "a great deal of lost business," said store manager and part-owner Kevin M. Pedersen.

The Cambridge Licensing Commission denied Ruggles' license application amidst neighborhood lobbying to curb the flow of alcohol in the Square. The State Alcoholic Beverages Commission subsequently rejected an appeal on the local decision.

The Ruggles' owners continue their efforts to secure a license, Meltzer said.

More than 10,000 restaurant patrons have signed a petition to grant Ruggles that license, added Pederson.

In one week, Ruggles patrons have consumed more than four cases of the new beverage.

Customer Janine McLaren went to Ruggles yesterday hoping to buy beer, but after a taste of Moussy, she said she was happy with the imitation.

"It smells like beer; it tastes like beer--I think this will do nicely," she said.

Meltzer hopes the novelty of the alcohol-free malts will also bolster the image Ruggles has tried to create with its "English-style" pizza.