Wesleyan Class Shopping

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

Wesleyan University's postponement of pre-registration until 1985 will give students another opportunity to "shop" for classes next fall.

Officials planned the new program to begin this fall, but temporarily delayed it due to complication in the process of coordinating student data with the university's computer system.

Since it will be the first time that Wesleyan will opt for the system of pre-registration, officials said that the experimental nature of the project fueled doubts about implementing it prematurely.

The decision to delay pre-registration was made, according to Registrar Michael Young, sometime in the late summer or early fall by the Dean of the College. Edgar Beckham, Young and other administration, after three alternative schedules were drawn up. "I didn't want to be involved in a hasty thing," he said.

To keep pre-registration from another semester's delay-a team of administrations and computer specialists will most once a month, according to Beckham, to "check designs and see if we're meeting our checkpaints." He stressed that the monthly meeting would aid on-time completion of the system.

To create a pre-registration system, said Young, the format of the students record, which holds all the vital information about each student must be changed to fit into the course placement program, which he calls "a monster."