University Hires Fewer Minorities, More Women

By Holly A. Idelson

The percentage of minority faculty administration and staff throughout the University tell last year, while the number of women in these positions rose, according to an affirmative action report released this week.

Both groups, however, continue to be underrepresented in top posts in Harvard's nine schools and 10 administrative offices, the 11th annual Affirmative Action Plan Update shows.

Only two schools reported an increase in minority faculty over the year--the School of Dental Medicine and the Divinity School. Six faculties boasted more women, with only the Graduate School of Education, the Kennedy School of Government, and the Divinity School registering drops.

Women now comprise 17.6 percent of University faculty positions, up from 16.9 percent last year, but the figure for minorities dropped to 6.3 from 7.2 percent.

The number of minorities--Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and Asian Americans--holding nonteaching positions also fell slightly from 12.8 percent last year, to 12.3 percent currently.

The report cites the limited number of qualified applicants as well as slow job turnover as obstacles toward increasing the representation of women and minorities.

Special Assistant to the President Nancy Randolph, whose office prepared the report, was out of town and unavailable for comment yesterday.

Meldon S. Hollis, an administrative assistant in the affirmative action office, said yesterday that the University-wide representation of women and minorities is equitable although individual areas have been targeted as underrepresented.

Blacks are the most seriously underrepresented minority on campus, he said, adding that, Black females in particular are concentrated almost exclusively in clerical and service positions.

Hollis questioned statements that the low percentage of minority and women in high level positions resulted from an inadequate applicant pool. "This is an institution that is based on the assumption that it can attract people who are in scarce numbers in society."

Because Harvard receives federal funds, it is legally required to have an affirmative action program and conduct yearly reviews of that plan.

When the University recently received a $7.7 million federal grant to establish a center to study educational technology, officials went through a comprehensive review with the Labor Department to determine if it is meeting federal affirmative action guidelines, Hollis said.