Media Conference

Short Takes

A panel of congressmen, journalists and media experts meeting this weekend at the Kennedy School criticized coverage of Congress, calling it simplistic, negative, and overly focused on scandal.

The panel suggested that journalists improve their knowledge of key issues and form better relationships with Congressmen.

Journalists in turn described Congressmen as secretive and accused them of manipulating the media for public attention.

In response to criticism that the media simplifies complex issues. Roger Mudd of NBC News suggested that networks televise key Senate and House debates on a regular basis.

John C. Culver '54, a former Senator from lowa, countered that Mudd's idea was unrealistic, because Congressmen would prepare speeches far in advance, making it "tough to get spontaneity and integrity."

The conference, sponsored by both the Institute of Politics and The Los Angeles Times was planned to study the relationship between Congress and the media.

"It isn't possible to study the political process without examining the impact of new coverage on the public," explained Charles Truehart, an IOP spokesman.

The weekend's highlight was an address on Saturday evening by Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan).

Saturday morning saw two roundtable discussions -on Congressional problems with the media, and on media problems with the Congress. These sessions featured Rep. Barber B. Conable (R.N.Y.), Frank Stanton, former president of CBS, and Arthur Maass, Thompson Professor of Government at the Kennedy School.

Conable complained that the press looks for one sentence to summarize a complex story.

"The press must start taking responsibility for an interpretive role, not just scandal," Conable added.

Carole Simpson, a reporter for ABC News defended the media by explaining that "Senate and House stories aren't usually exciting."