You Can't Get Good Help These Days

Ivy Wrap

The two top teams in the Ivies bounced back from fourth-quarter deficits Saturday, frustrating upset bids that would have thrown Harvard back into the league title chase.

Dartmouth 24, Yale 21

The Big Green are away at 21-3 Eli second-quarter lead behind the passing of quarterback Frank Polsinello, who played injured, to remain unbeaten in league play.

A 22-yard touchdown pass from Polsinello to Mike Viccora put Dartmouth in the lead for the first time on a windy day at the Yale Bowl with just 47 seconds left.

Yale is now 0-7 overall, the first time since 1941 a Bulldog squad has lost dropped seven in a row in one season. Including its setback at the studies last year. Yale has had last eight straight a new school record.

Dartmouth is now 4-0 in league play with games remaining against Columbia. However and Penn, in that order. The Cocco can force the Crimson out of the Ivy picture with was to test of there games.

But if Dartmouth was going to get knocked off, this would have been the week for it to happen. An ailing left shoulder kept Polsinello from starting, and the Big Green defense was hurting as well.

When starter Mike Caraviello came out with a bruised thumb, Polsinello came through with a 13-of-19, 236-yard passing performance.

Penn 28, Princeton 27

The Quakers sacked Tiger Quarterback Doug Butler on a two-point conversion attempt with 41 seconds left to pull out a squeaker at Philadelphia in front of a crowd of 36,569.

Penn had bounced back from a 21-14 fourth-quarter deficit to take a 28-21 advantage with less than five minutes remaining. Hunter then lead a 10-play, 76-yard touchdown drive capped by a 21-yard touchdown pass to Dock Graham to pull Princeton to within now.

Penn's first victory over Princeton since 1977 left it in sole possession of second place in the Ivies with a 4-0-1 record. The philadelphians' two remaining league tilts are with first-place Dartmouth and third-place Harvard.

Holy Cross 77, Columbia 28

Gill Fenerty scored six touchdowns and ran for 337 yards as Harvard's next opponent walloped Columbia at Worcester.

The Crusaders established a Division 1-AA single-game rushing record of 583 yards. They scored 27 points in the third quarter alone. Columbia quarterback John Witkowski completed 28 of 58 passes for 331 yards.

Holy Cross, ranked second in Division 1-AA, is 7-0 Columbia is 1-3 in the Ivies, 2-4-1 overall.

B.U.41, Cornell 0

Cornell remained winless. Only 2,228 people watched at B.U.'s Nickernon Field.