Crashed Party

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

By Gregor F.L. Gruber

A group of local police officers who allegedly raided a dorm party to crack down on drinking by underaged students may face charges of assault.

Mt. Holyoke sophomore Karry J. Fox is threatening to tile charges of harassment against Officers William C. Roach of the South Hadley police. Fox said that the officer "pushed me around" after a party last weekend which the police closed down because many of the drinkers were allegedly under age.

South Hadley police described as a "routine investigation of under-age drinkers," his officers took two teenagers into protective custody.

Rasch declined to comment on the incident.

Fox subsequently wrote a statement to the Mt. Holyoke security services, and said she is prepared to make her complaint official should security fail to do anything. Though charging an officer with harassment would impose the burden of proof on Fox, she added. "I have the support of a lot of people, a lot of witnesses."

Dean of Students Marnesba m. Hill said that the College will not take direct action in the matter. She added, "Our policy is that there are state and federal laws about drinking and we will not protect our students when they violate these laws."