Mather Arts Council

Short Takes

As part of an effort to revive its fighting arts program, Mather House is forming a student-run arts council that will sponcer poetry readings, dance performances a monthly newsletter, and possibly a student if gallery students said yesterday.

The council, which organizer Peter D. Gedol '86 described as "still embryonic," yesterday evening sponsored its first event, an open reading for campus posts.

Eighteen students, teaching fellows and Masters came to the reading, some to read and some to listen. One participant, April R. St. John '84, said afterwards. "There was a lot of tingling feeling there. If that many people are interested, maybe it'll revive."

Gadol said yesterday that the council's purpose is to "enrich and publicize what already exists, and to encourage and incite where nothing exists."

While Mather has sponsored arts activities in the past, it still has an image of being "deficient" and quiet, according to Gadol. "It's a tender subject here," he said.

The council will not become a regularly-meeting group until organizers determine the level of interest.

The council particularly hopes to work with the House Theater Society, which itself is experiencing new interest and restructuring, Gadol said. He said they hope to produce a drama as other Houses have done, as well as a series of multi-artistic evenings.