Final Clubs

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson

The letter by Geoffrey Bok '84 et. al. in the October 24 Crimson contains some serious misunderstandings about the nature of the final clubs at Harvard. Although the writers are correct in calling attention to the deplorable events at the recent Pi Eta initiation, they obviously do not completely understand the Harvard club system and social situations at other Ivy League institutions.

First, it is important to recognize that the Pi Eta Club is not a party to the Interclub Agreement, which includes all Harvard final clubs. As Douglas Grant '85 pointed out in response to Mr. Bok, in this sense, the Pi Eta is more of an "open" club like the Hasty Pudding. So to connect the final clubs to the Pi Eta in this way is inaccurate; the Pi Eta is a wholly independent organization.

Mr. Bok writes that the clubs "are remnants of an age when...awareness of women's and minorities' rights indirectly foster social divisions rather than minimize them." It is true that final clubs do not admit women as members (in part because the clubs provide living space for local alumni and current members during the summer), but the clubs are far from illiberal and intolerant. The first black president of a final club was elected five years ago and the first Asian, last year. And "tokens" aren't elected president; they wouldn't be given financial and managerial responsibility.

The Bok letter is also unclear on similar situations at other Ivy League campuses. Eight of Princeton's 13 eating clubs are non-selective but since most undergraduates take their meals at the clubs, they play a much larger role in campus life.

It must not be forgotten that Princeton, Dartmouth and Brown have student centers. There are few places at Harvard where one can go to relax, read, play cards or merely chat with friends from outside his own House. The Clubs thus help to restore a sense of community that is somewhat lacking at Harvard.

The central problem with Mr. Bok's letter is that, while it encourages diversity and "independent" thinking, it allows for them only as long as one does not arrive at a particular conclusion.

That conclusion, that the Clubs foster lifelong friendships, a lasting link to Harvard for its graduates and a sense of community and purpose that one might otherwise miss at Harvard, is eminently reasonable and meritorious. Clark Kent Ervin '80   President Emeritus, Phoenix S.K. Club