Student Biker Fine After Being Struck By Car on Campus

By John N. Tate

Elizabeth A. Podlish he was struck by a car yesterday while riding her bicycles Memorial Hall.

Podlach, a South House resident, was taken to Cambridge City Hospital, where she was treated for "abrasions and possible hand trauma," a hospital spokesman said yesterday.

She was transferred to University Health Services' (UHS) Stillman Infirmary, which released her and advised her to return for overnight observation, spokesmen said.

"There is some chances of concussion," said Dr. Warren E.C. Wackier, director of UHS, adding, "but she's in stable condition."

Wacker, who is also Master of South House, said he first heard of the incident in the South House dining hall during lunch.

Podlach said last night. "I'm fine, I'm working on a paper right now." She added that she had "a little cut in the head, a scrape in the leg, and some swelling [of her leg] that is going down."

Using the accident report files by officers at the scene, Cambridge Police Inspector Francis L. Calogero described the accident by saying. "The bicycle was in the middle of the traffic lane on Kirkland St. The car was completing a left turn from Quincy St. to Kirkland St. when [the driver] saw the bicycle coming towards him. He moved over towards the yellow line and applied his brakes, but was unable to stop in time."

The car's driver, listed in the report as George Teiveira, reported no injuries to anyone in the car. The front right bumper of the car, a Chevrolet from Thrifty Rent-a-Car, was damaged in the accident.