Cranston, On Boston Visit, Pushes 'Peace and Jobs'

By W. Hirschorn

Democratic Presidential candidate Sen Alan Cranston (D-Calif.) brought his "Peace and Jobs" campaign to the Law School yesterday, attacking President Reagan's defense posture as "simplistic, superficial, and paranoid."

Cranston's Harvard speech came during a day of stumping in Boston, which included stops at three other campuses, a speech before a local disarmament group, and private meetings with supporters.

Throughout the tour, the liberal senator, considered to be third behind former Vice President Walter F. Mondale and Sen. John Glenn (D-Ohio) in an eight-man field, echoed the twin themes of his campaign; stopping the arms race and eliminating unemployment.

This included outlining a proposal to include French and British missiles in intermediate-range nuclear negotiations and to halt the deployment of Pershing II and Cruise missiles in Europe.

In an evening interview, Cranston insisted his stance on Euromissiles would not encourage Soviet adventurism.

"We have never had a war with them," he said, "except that now tensions are at an all-time high."

Why Not the Best?

Cranston has stressed throughout the campaign that he is the best candidate to reduce the threat of nuclear war because he has made stopping the arms race his number one priority.

The distinction between him and front-runner Mondale, he said, "is mainly a matter of putting my priority on the arms race."

"[Former President] Jimmy Carter didn't focus his efforts and got lost in the shuffle," he said. "Walter Mondale sold the Europeans on the Pershing and Cruise missiles [when he was Vice President in 1979]."

Cranston likes to talk about a meeting with the late scientist Albert Einstein at the close of World War II, when the Californian said he first began to speak out against the nuclear arms race. But, he added, "I didn't get any attention until I became a Presidential candidate."

Cranston said he is not afraid that his out spokenness on the nuclear issue will overshadow the rest of his platform. "I say enough about other issues, but I think that if we blow ourselves up, other issues won't matter."

And while he accepts being termed a "liberal," he said. "The issues I'm running on are not liberal issues, but mainstream issues."

Before an audience of about 125 at the halffilled Ames Courtroom. Cranston detailed his program to revive the economy Restoring taxes reduced as a result of the Kemp Roth tax bill, eliminating the MX missile system and other defense projects, and increasing employment would "lead us towards a balanced budget," he said.

Cranston predicted that the deficit would be reduced by $30 billion for every million people put back to work.

The third-term senator also outlined two other facets of his economic platform.

*A monetary policy with a "predictable" growth in the money supply, and an emphasis on reducing interest rates rather than on keeping down inflation.

*A government economic policy "more like Japan and Germany. "The two countries, he said, are benefitting from low defense budgets compared to the United States.

Taking an indirect job at Mondule, who has told union groups that he supports some protectionist measures, Cranaton said he supports lowering tarriffs to improve foreign trade.

Send In the Marines

Cranston also devoted a large portion of his speech to criticism of Reagan's foreign policy.

"Soviet-American relations are at the worst point since the Berlin Blockade," he said. "For the next 14 months, this country will be led by a man who thinks that the way to solve every problem is to send in the Marines."

Cranston said that Reagan's choice of directors of the Arms Control Agency indicated a lack of concern for arms reduction.

He quoted, for example, a remark made by Reagan's first director Eugene Rostow at his Senate confirmation hearings. Rostow he recalled, said that Japan "not only survived but flourished" after two bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Cranston is the third Democratic contender to appear before a Law School audience. Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-S.D.) and successful 1972 Democratic candidate George S. McGovern appeared this fall.

Jamon A. Anwood K. president of the student run Law School forum and yesterday that Sen Gury W. Hart D-Cubo) and Glenn expressed interest in speaking and that Mondule has given an "unequivocal yes"

All three will probably visit next spring, he added.

Attwood said that the Porum also invited Reagan to speak, but was not optimistic in light of the negative reception accord Secretary of Defense Caspar W. Weinherger '38 on his visit three weeks ago