Israel & South Africa: 'Remarkable'

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Errol Louis' two-part article detailing the extent and nature of the military and economic ties between Israel and South Africa was, quite simply, remarkable. Louis put forth all the relevant data and information in a clear, cogent fashion, but more importantly, he added a certain moral bite which eludes many of the opponents and critics of the South African government. Namely, Louis had the political courage to criticize Israel.

While the many apologists for the Jewish state will undoubtedly claim that Israel has few defenders and that the is constantly criticized in the American media and by Americaa politicians, this view is not quite true. Granted, anti-Senitism is not a dead force in America or the world; and anti-Senites occupy important positions in this society. Yet these sad facts should not give besitance to those who want to criticize specific Israel policies. Unfortunately, all too many American "liberals"--the people who harshly criticize the U.S. government for its often repressive military and foreign policies--simply refuse to utter a critical word in the direction of Israel, even though its military and arms sales policy, as in the case of South Africa, may be far more repressive than that of the U.S.

This gaping hole in the liberal view of the world becomes very salient when one considers Central America. While Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, New York Representative Stephen Solarz and others chide the Reagan Administration for its callous support of corrupt and repressive retimes in Haiti, Guatemala, El Salvador and other places, these people have nothing to say about Israel's role in selling arms to these same repressive regimes. Happily, Errol Louis breaks the ice by making it clear to all who oppose the apartheid regime in South Africa that they must also begin to oppose the foreign and military policies of Israel, the strongest ally of the white supremacist government. The same applies to the opponents of right-wing repression in South and Central America; they must begin to cast a critical eye towards Israel.

No doubt this will be a very difficult task, one beset with the danger of making Israel the scapegoat for all the world's ills. Yet the task must be done, courageously and carefully. Thank to Errol Louis for leading the way. Robert A. Watts '84