Icewomen Corner Cornell; It's Tate Over Gilbert, 5-1

By Nick Wurf

Harvard's 5-1 women's ice hockey victory over Cornell on Saturday was like a coach's film on what a big difference a good goalie makes.

Guarding the Cornell net at Bright Center stood Sandy Gilbert. Gilbert had been forced into action when the Big Red's number-one netminder had her appendix removed last Thursday. She was starting only her second game.

Between the pipes for the Crimson was Cheryl Tate. The All Ivy goalkeeper is in her fourth season and has already claimed two Beanpot MVP awards.

Gilbert looked awful in the early going and gave up four first period goals. Tate, meanwhile, played effortlessly and did not surrender a score in her 49 minutes of work.

At the other end Kathy Carroll garnered four assists to tie a Harvard single-game record to pace a strong offensive attack.

The Crimson opened its first-period surge when defenseman Megan Berthold took a feed from Carroll at the left point and lofted a slapshot past Gilbert into the upper left corner of the net at 1:08.

The pinpoint shot did nothing for Gilbert's confidence.

Exactly one-minute into Cornell's Mindy Manley penalty, the Crimson's other starting defenseman got into the act Carroll this time dealt the puck from the slot to Sue Newell at the top of the right face-off circle. With Carroll screening Gilbert the senior defenseman found the twines.

Not that Cornell wasn't playing well and spending lots of time working the puck around the Crimson zone All contrair. But the Big Red would be frustrated all evening, unable to generate the kind of chances necessary to beat Tate.

Harvard Captain Diane Hurley scored at 14:43 on a pass from Carroll. And at 17:47 Dinny Starr shot just inside the right post to give a score to the Crimson's new second line of Genie Simmons, flanked by Starr and Katrinka Leschey.

And it was still the first period.

No Scores

There was no scoring in the second period as Gilbert began to play with some confidence and the Harvard defense continued to deny Cornell any good chances.

At 4:52 of the final period. Hurley took a feed right outside of the crease from Carroll and gunned it by Gilbert for the last Crimson tally.

Tate was then pulled for backup Tracy Kimmell at 13:08 and just over a minute later a full-line rush gave the Big Red a small piece of satisfaction. For the first time in her career. Kimmel was beaten.

After 205 minutes of career play she gave up her first goal. Even now, her career goals-against-average is a not too-shabby, 26 goals a game.

And that's a lot better than Sandy Gilbert's THE NOTEBOOK Harvard evened its overall slate at 3-3 and boosted its Ivy mark to 2-1... The Crimson hosts Boston University at 7:30 p.m. at Bright tonight. At Bright Center Cornell  0  0  1--1 Harvard  4  0  1--5

H. Megan Berthold (Kathy Carroll) 1:06; H. Sue Newell (Carroll) 5:51; H. Diane Hurley (Carroll) 14:43; H. Dinny Starr (Katrinka Leachey Newell) 17:47; H. Hurley (Kathy Landy, Carroll) 4:52; C. Army Stanzin (Karen Shull, Alison Shull) 14:21.

Saves--C. Sandy Gilbert 6-9-9--24. H. Cheryl Tate. 3-3-4--10; Tracy Kemmett 0--0.

Aft.--Very small.

Aft.--Very small.