Icewomen Beat B.U., 7-0, Carroll, Landry Hat Trick

By Nick Wurf

Lucky for Boston University's women's ice hockey team, Harvard's top recrult of is year ago got away.

Because last night at Bright Center. Terrier goalie Maria Dunn was the only reason Harvard didn't completely embarrass its guests. The Crimson plastered Dunn with 67 shots and only scored seven times. The freshman net minder was all over the place--leaping, diving and scrambling with great agility, if not from and grace in the 7-0 Harvard win.

After two periods at the other end, the biggest challenge Crimson goalie Cheryl Tate faced was staying awake. Her replacement in the last period, Tracy Kimmel, found the going only slightly tougher, as the Terrier offense peaked, launching four shots in the third stanza.

The Fall

Dunn's downfall was the right two-thirds of the Crimson first line. Center Kathy Carroll and right wing Kelly Landry each hat tricked to lead the Harvard offensive machine.

"Kathy Carroll's shooting was dynamite," Harvard Coach John Dooley said after the game. "When Kelly Landry learns how to skate, wow! Then the other teams are going to be in trouble."

Carroll, a senior, led the team in scoring last year with 15 goals and 27 points. She has tallied eight scores already this year and is on pace to break the single season goal-scoring record which is held by her left wing Diane Hurley. That is, if Landry doesn't shatter it first.

Already one of Harvard's finest all-time women soccer players and an almost sure bet to become that squad's all-time leading scorer next year. Landry only started skating last season. In 11 games with the hockey team last year, she did not earn a single goal or assist.

This year she is leading the ice women with 10 goals while rounding out the Crimson's otherwise experienced top line.

And even Maria Dann couldn't stop the thunder one unit last night.

Carroll gave Dunn mother 10 seconds into the contest with a blistering drive which the freshman caught, dropped and full on. Just over a minute later, defenseman Sue Newell shot from the right point. With the drive blocked by a Terrier stick. Newell reloaded and let fly again. En route, Carroll changed the puck's direction and put it in.

Four minutes later, the scrappy Landry knocked the puck in after a fierce scramble in the crease. And four minutes after that she punched another short-range shot home to put the Crimson up, 3-0.

Carroll evened up the duo's scoring race at 7:22 of the second period when Hurley gave her center a great feed in the slot.

Genie Simmons earned the new second line's only score when she knocked in a Dinny Starr pass for the fifth Harvard tally.

The third period was for the hat tricks. Landry earned another it's-not-pretty-but-it-counts score from in close early on and Carroll scored on a characteristically nice drive from 20 feet out to reach the final 7-0 score. THE NOTEBOOK: Sophomore Mary Boland and freshman Kathy Conley took their first-every turns on the ice as part of the Crimson fourth line. The Crimson's record is now 4-3. The team now travels to Aspen, Colo over vacation, hoping to gain some ice time and some confidence and some fun. Last night no one was in the stands for the opening face-off, although the crowd later swelled to nearly 20. Boston University  0  0  0--0 Harvard  3  2  2--7

H. Kathy Carrot (Sue Newell) 12 H. Kelly Landy (Carroll) 6.51 H Landry (Mara Mac Taggart. Pam DiRubio) 10 51 H Carroll (Hurley) 7 22. H. Gene Simmons (Danny Starr) 15 49 H. Landry (Hurley Magan Berhold) 958 H Carroll (Staff Newell) 15 14

Saves H Cheryl Tale 3 0 3 Tracy Kimmel 4-4 BU Mana Dunn 17 24 26--67

Attendance Minima

Attendance Minima