Berkeley Boycott

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

By Peter R. Eccles

University of California at Berkeley student voters have overwhelmingly approved the continuation of the student council boycotts of Coors beer and Nestle's products.

Elections Chair Michael Gelobter said the Coors boycott passed with a vote of 1387 to 852, and the Nestle's boycott by 1622 to 608. Vote totals for the November 21-23 election however, have not been approved by a council subcommittee.

This election was the first in which the boycotts were on the ballot for student approval. A measure passed by the council October 19 mandated that the boycotts be placed on the ballot each election for continued approval.

The council, however, has reserved the right to reverse any student vote on these boycotts by a majority vote.

The council began both boycotts in 1977. The Coors boycott was instituted when employees at the company's Golden Colorado plant struck over working conditions and privacy. The Nestle's boycott began to protest the company's "aggressive marketing of infant formula in the third world." --The Daily Californian