A Brilliant Kick-Off Return

Harvard's Money: A Harvard Campaign Update

By Meredith E. Greene

After a year of industrious planning and research and two more years infiltrating the country with more than 90 "kickoff" dinners in 81 cities, members of the executive committee of the Harvard Campaign say the fundraising drive is now in full swing.

The two-year Kickoff Phase ended in November, and the University is approximately $100 million short of the $350 million goal, having amassed $243,568,039.

Now the campaign is entering its third, "follow-up" stage, in which active alumni who were unable to attend the dinners. "People will think a little more about giving if they receive a phone call, rather than a white envelope in the mail," said David W. Johnson '68, publicity coordinator of the Campaign.

Thomas M. Reardon, director of University development, says that while fundraising campaigns in general are "traditionally slower" in their follow-up stage, he expects that the contributions will continue to rise.

The Campaign has concentrated on acquiring large gifts--those over $25,000--but he adds that the planners have been "a little bit disappointed" by the response. But the number of small gifts--those smaller than $5000--has far exceeded the expectations.

Reardon will not say that he is confident the Campaign will reach its total goal. "One hundred and ten million is a lot of money to raise in two years," he says, adding that the Campaign has done "exceedingly well in hard times."

Reardon explains that the idea behind the various stages is that the planners must first appeal to alumni, then wait for the "decision to crystallize." "Named" gifts are available in return for donations of more than $5000. Endowed professorships, for example, go for $1.25 million.

One of the most generous donors has been John L. Loeb '24, who is largely responsible for endowments benefiting the junior faculty.

Walter N. Rothschild '42, one of the Campaign's national co-chairmen, says the dinners, which usually included a regional alumni speaker and a representative from the College who addressed the needs of the Campaign, were an entertaining means to accomplish a more serious end. "Everyone knew what they were coming to hear, but the parties were pretty fun," Rothschild says.

Fred L. Glimp '50, vice-president for alumni affairs and development, says the enthusiasm he witnessed was "heartening." Glimp added that he remembers one poignant moment when 103-year-old Erskine Wood'01 arrived in a wheelchair for a dinner in Oregon. Wood sang President Bok a song, spoofing the president, which he and his classmates had sung to College president Charles W. Eliot in their senior year. Another group, recent graduates who all work for Microsoft. Inc., came to the same dinner wearing t-shirts sporting "Harvard Club of Microsoft."

One of the most successful kickoff dinners was in Salt Lake City, Utah, where more than 300 attended--more than half of the total number of Harvard alumni in the state. One Harvard graduate who made recent history turned up at that dinner. Dr. Chase N. Peterson '52. Peterson was the spokesman for the surgical team working on the case of Dr.Barney B. Clark, the first human to receive an artificial heart.

Johnson added that the current stage of the Campaign is divided into geographic area activity and class activity. The Campaign keeps a running total of contributions by each class. So far, the Class of 1921 leads with a total of $13.346.309, while the Class of 1924 runs second with $10.367.408.

Reardon says that the rest of the Campaign will consist of "systematic fundraising." He adds that the drive has approximately 5000 alumni working closely with the phone-canvassing project, but they must reach more than 60,000 alumni.

The Harvard Campaign is scheduled to end in the winter of 1984. So far, the planners of the fund drive have stuck to their original strategy, but they say they have learned lessons on money raising along the way. For example, the cost of an endowed professorship, currently $1.25 million was originally set at only $1 million, but that amount would not cover the actual costs of a professorship.

"We have learned as we've gone along," says Rothechild, "but I don't think we've made any big mistakes."

While the final number will be a difficult one reach, many feel that even if they don't attain if $350 million mark, they will have done the lie they could. Reardon adds that he did not force one big push as the Campaign with down, would like to see us just coast to the end".