Wrestlers Maul Lions, 25-11; Ready to Face Cornell Today

By John N. Riccardi and G. ROBERT Strauss

Although the Harvard wrestling squad recaptured the Richard G. Waite Trophy yesterday afternoon by solidly defeating the Columbia Lions, 25-11, few can deny that the real test of Harvard's wrestling prowess this season will be decided this afternoon as the Crimson take on the well-balanced--and Ivy-undefeated--Big Red of Cornell.

"All the close matches seemed to go our way against Columbia," said Coach Johnny Lee. "But tomorrow will be the real battle," he added, referring to the rivals from Ithaca who were instrumental in stripping the Crimson of its Ivy title last season. Judging from yesterday's performance. Harvard seems well-prepared to accept the formidable challenge it faces.

From the opening whistle, the Crimson never trailed, taking four of the first five matches, thanks to solid performances by 118-lb. Tri-Captain Paul Widerman, and 126-lb. freshman Steve Beati. When Andy McNerney, ranked number seven nationally in the 142-lb. weight class, stepped on the mat, the Crimson was protecting a modest 7-3 lead on points.

Wasting no time with his opponent Don Wallace, McNerney commandeered his way to an overwhelming, 27-0 lead before pinning Wallace at 5:21. "Andy's really rolling now," said Lee, commenting on McNerney's ability to turn over his challengers practically at will.

In the next match, Fritz Campbell--returning to the Crimson lineup at the 150-lb slot--squeaked his way to a 2-0 victory that gave Harvard a 16-3 lead in the match. The Crimson's streak, however, was halted in the next two matches as Columbia's Dan Pepin and Captain Bill Lubell convincingly downed Sean Healey and Barry Bausano respectively, narrowing Harvard's lead to 16-11.

But the Lions' temporary momentum was quickly stifled by sophomore standout Sean Wallace, who edged his way to a hard-fought, 3-2 victory over Columbia's Stefan Antonssen by maintaining a tenuous hold in the final moments. Crimson freshman Kevin Wattles clinched the victory with a 4-3 decision in the 190-lb. weight class over Andy Barth, scoring a timely escape in the final period.

Harvard heavyweight Jim Phills, who ended the afternoon's competition with a 14-7 victory over Columbia's tenacious Jeff Roylance, put the victory in perspective soon therafter. "I expect the match to be much closer tomorrow," he said. So does the entire team.