Crimson Racquetmen Down Jumbos, Prepare for Last Ivy Match of Year

By Carla D. Williams

After a 10-0 victory over Tufts yesterday, the Harvard men's squash team feels they still have some regrouping to do before playing Yale tomorrow.

"We were definitely a bit flat," Co-Captain John Dinneen said of the match. Even so, the racquetmen won.

The Crimson faced Tufts with the same lineup they used against Dartmouth Wednesday, with only the first two seeds-David Boyum and Kenton Jernigan-playing in their accustomed slots. Co-Captain Geordie Lemmon played in the number three position and the rest of the lineup shifted up one or two notches to compensate for the ailing Peter Dinneen and Richard Jackson.

But despite the lineup shifts and continued fatigue from a long week of squash, the racquetmen felt Tufts offered little challenge, with one exception. "Of all the matches I've played, this one was probably the hardest, except for Princeton and the nationals," John Dinneen said.

The senior met Tufts' Simon Roy, who gave him a solid match by going after every ball and returning them with well-placed cross-court shots. "He knew the game well, my 3-0 victory didn't come easily," Dinneen said.

The rest of the individual matches went nearly as smoothly, though some team members dropped an occasional game. "I think most of us had trouble concentrating on our matches." Boyum commented, "because we knew we weren't really being challenged." He added, "I know that I didn't really play my best, because it's hard to do that against someone who isn't making you play hard."

Trucking

Michael Mack, playing in the number eight position for the second time this season, was extended to four games by a hard-hitting freshman who relied on force rather than skill to throw Mack off balance. After dropping a potentially crucial third game, 13-15, Mack rebounded quickly, using precise shots to take the match with a 15-10 win.

Will Lubkowicz unexpectedly saw double duty by playing in both the mine and ten sports. The junior won both matches in straight games by hitting hard shots along the lines which left both his opponents befuddled.

Harvard didn't really seem up for a match that was a sure victory, and won with little show of enthusiasm. "It was sort of hard to get up for the game," Dinneen said. "It was just one of those things we had to do, the game was on the schedule, and we wanted to win 10-0, because we've done it that way all season."

The Jumbos provided the Crimson with a tougher match last year, when the Crimson won 8-1. Tufts had been ranked fifth in the nation, mainly because of its number one player Ski Khan of the Khan squash dynasty. Khan decided to take this year off, leaving a substantially weaker squad.

Charlie Duffy '82, a former number five Crimson seed, led the Jumbos against his former coach Dave Fish.

The 9-0 racquetmen face Yale Saturday in what should be their toughest home match of the season. Yale's number one player, Victor Wagner, promises to be a difficult match for Boyum, who managed to beat him in three games last year.

Peter Dinneen and Jackson should be back in the lineup by then Jackson will play higher up in the number three position, with a tender ankle sprain still hampering his play. Dinneen had planned to play yesterday, but his shoulder is still a problem, so both players haven't been on the courts for several days.

Harvard Men's Squash vs. Tufts

1. D. Boyum (H) def. S. Packard, (T). 15-11, 15-7, 18-16; 2. K. Jornigan (H) def. W. Baker (T), 15-10, 11 -15, 15-11, 15-3; 3. G. Lemmon (H) del. M. Scott (T). 15-11, 15-12, 12-15, 15-10; 4 J. Lubowitz (H) def. B. Allen (T), 15-12, 15-6, 18-16 5. J. Dinneen (H) def. S Roy (T). 15-11, 15-10, 15-7; 6. S. Brog (H) def. P. Lenard (T). 15-7, 18-14, 18-17; 7. D. Segal (H) def. J. Vidler (T), 15-8, 12-15, 15-9, 15-13 8. M. Mack (H) def. J. Perry (T), 15-10, 15-11, 13-15, 15-10: 9. W. Lobkowicz (H) def. E. Alverez (T), 15-7, 18-16, 15-7; 10. W. Lobkowitz (T). def. M. Priestly (T). 15-7, 15-6, 15-3.