Racquetmen Muneh Engineers: Take Only an Hour to Win, 9-0

By Caren D. Williams

The Harvard men's squash team marched into the MIT squash courts at 4 p.m. yesterday. It took about a minute for the racquetmen to unzip their racquet cases and just a few more minutes to dismantle the Engineers. Within an hour the Crimson left MIT with a 90 win, having surrendered not even a game.

In past contest Coach Dave Fish had tried to make the inevitable victory over the Engineers more lively by not bringing his top three seeds of the match. But MIT Coach Ed Crocker pleaded for a chance for his squad to play some of the best squash player in the nation. "Their coach wanted to play the best." Fish said. I don't like doing this. I like to see some competitive squash matches. But they were pretty good about it.

The racquetmen used to make the best of what number one-seeded David Boston termed a wasted afternoon. Though some allowed only a point here and there others practiced their come-from behind strategy Jim about it. Harvard's number six players tell behind 10.5 in the last game before winning 15.12 and then took the next two games 15.2, 15.8.

Teammates shouted encouragement and placed a few bets among themselves as to who would win most quickly Richard Jackson. Brad Desaulmers and David Segal were the first off the courts Desaulmers led 14.0m hrs second game when he missed a forehand shot to allow his opponent a point.

Despite occasional ones of disgust when they missed an easy point, the racquetmen took the match seriously.

"All 12 of us are trying to do everything together and work hard together", said Co-Captain John Dinneen. "Some of these matches we play aren't that challenging but it we play to win well get used a winning, and that will carry us through the rest of the season."

The Crimson has been getting very used to winning lately thanks largely to matches like last Saturday's. When it downed Princeton, 7 2--a win that makes it the team to beat at the U.S. team championships two weeks from now in San Francisco. The Crimson handled the Tigers in the same flawless, methodical manner which also characterized yesterday's match.

In previous years, the Crimson had lost to Princeton because of lack of depth, and coach and players feared that it would be the same story this year.

Harvard however got off to a last staff as Co-Captains Geordie Lemmon and Dinneen both won playing in the number live at seven spots Top seeds Boyum and Kenton Jernigan triumphed in four game matches.

With the Crimson needing only one more win to clinch the match. Dinneen was leading 2-0 in his contest Jim Lubowitz was down two games to princetons Richie Zabel One Tiger captain who downed Spencer Brog is a come-from behind win last year to won tie match for the Tigers Desaulmers and Jackson were tied 1-1 with their opponent. But Princeton wasn't dead yet. Dinneen and Brog both last their next three games throwing Harvard's victory to Jeopaidy. But then Desaulmers and Jackson pulled out 3.1 wins and when Lubowitz finished with a 3.2 win over Zabel, he and the rest of the Crimson could relay assured of the nation's top ranking.

The Crimson heads to Penn this weekend its last match before the championships in San Francisco.