Padan Aram

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimsons:

Certain inaccuracies in The Crimson's February 28 article on Undergraduate Council grant allocations came as quite a surprise to members of both Padan Aram: The Harvard Literary Review, and to the Council itself. While it is true that Padan Aram did not receive Council funds this term, the terms cited in The Crimson are not only injurious to the publication's solid reputation, they are, quite simply, false.

It is unfortunate that the Council did not see fit to support Harvard-Radcliffe's only publication devoted exclusively to fiction and poetry. However, such a decision, according to Council Treasurer Peter Smith, had nothing whatsoever to do with "poor organization" or unreliable financial projections but, rather, the belief that Padan Aram should publish an, issue in its new format before the Council would "invest" in the Review's future.

Although we disagree with the Catch 22 reasoning, this was, indeed, the logic behind the Council decision. It is, therefore, equally unfortunate that such misrepresentation should appear in The Crimson is regard to a publication respected not only within the community but also nationally, as evidenced by an award in 1978 as one of the Outstanding Small Magazines in America.

Critical success, a sense of responsibility to the Harvard-Radcliffe community and grass roots support enable Padan Aram to respond to both the need and desire for a publication highlighting the work of undergraduate writers.

It is not clear whether or not the Undergraduate Council. In its efficiency lacked the thoroughness and regard for facts of your reporter. One thing, however, is certain; Padan Aram The Harvard Literary Review looks forward is returning to the College in our new format, with our pages organized and our bills paid. Erie-Steven Gutierrez, Senior Editor   Nick Isbell, Business Mgr.   Elizabeth Frost, Poetry Editor   Lauren Pitteill, Publisher

The Crimson stands by the accuracy of the story involved.