Anything But Relaxing: Women Triumph, Men Fall

Deleware Hands Crimson 9-7 Loss; Rally Falls Short

By Jim Silver

The struggling men's Harvard lacrosse team took a step in the right direction Saturday, only to land in the thick mud of the University of Delaware field, tagged with a 9-7 loss.

Unlike its two defeats in Ivy play last week, in which the Crimson attack totally collapsed for half-hour stretches, the visitors made Delaware work for its win. The Blue Hens rallied from a 3-0 deficit to lead Harvard at halftime, 6-5 and after leading 9-6 were held scoreless in the fourth quarter.

"We didn't play lackadaisically, like we did in some other games," said junior Brian Edmonds. The Crimson offense produced more consistent pressure than in recent contests, except for a third-quarter period when Delaware effectively held Harvard in check. In particular, the Crimson did an aggressive job of grabbing ground balls, a department in which it had been hurting.

"We're in better shape, working a little better as a team and putting a better effort in," goalie and Co-Captain Tim Pendergast said.

Playing up to par, the Crimson was fairly evenly matched in talent with its hosts, but home-field advantage proved a big help for the Blue Hens in holding off Harvard in the second half. Rain had turned a poor field into a quagmire before game time. The Crimson had a difficult time adjusting, but it was Delaware's fourth game in such sloppy conditions.

The Mud Club

The mud frustrated the Crimson in its efforts to raise its scoring average, now hovering at 6.6. goals per game, well below last year's 9.5 mark. Freshman Chris Pujols (two goals on Saturday) and sophomore Rob Hawley (one goal) have been dangerous on the attack so far. But attackman Steve Bartentelder (even with two goals Saturday). first team All-Ivy last season, and a pair of All Ivy honorable mention midfielders. Steve Voelkel and Brendan Meagher, are behind last year's scoring pace.

THE NOTEBOOK: Pendergasi made 16 saves against the Hens... The loss dropped Harvard's record to 1-5 (0-3 in Ivy competition)... The laxmen have a pair of home games ahead this week they will meet UNH on Wednesday and Yale Saturday afternoon...New Hampshire held the top ranking in the most recent New England poll, but suffered a 13-10 loss to Brown on Saturday.