Council Praises Walesa Invitation

The Cambridge City Council last night unanimously approved a resolution submitted by Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci commending President Bok and the Harvard Alumni Association for selecting Lech Walesa, leader of Poland's outlawed Solidarity union, as Harvard's Commencement speaker.

The resolution states that "the people of Cambridge, Massachusetts also recognize Lech Walesa as a true and courageous leader in the movement to working conditions for the working people throughout the world."

News services have quoted Walesa as saying he will be unable to attend the June 9 ceremony, and his wife has reportedly said she will contact the University soon. Harvard officials have said they are still hopeful Walesa will speak.

But Vellucci added that the University must settle its current dispute with the union representing its dininghall workers, and invite Dominic Bozzoto, the union's president, to the ceremony.

"If they are locked in a labor dispute, how can they really truly tell the world they are behind the labor movement," Vellucci explained.