Community Charity Drive Nets $10,000 From Employees

By Laura F.gomez

Community Works, a progressive coalition of charity groups formed "to raise funds for grass roots organizations working for social change," will receive over $10.000 this year from a campaign targeted at Harvard employees.

One hundred and sixty workers pledged a portion of their paychecks to the group late last year through the University's "Charity of My Choice" program. Harvard employees are solicited each year by the drive to contribute to either the United Way or Community Works through payroll deductions.

Harvard deducts a nominal total each week from paychecks of workers who pledge to the drive, and the money is forwarded to the benefiting organization. This year, Community Works is scheduled to receive $10,741.

Community Works was formed in 1981 by these organizations seeking to combat federal budget cutbacks. Judy Housman, its director, said yesterday that its members have lost $609.000 in public funds during the fast two years.

Money received by Community Works is divided equally among its 17 members, all non-profit, Boston-based organizations working toward "some form of social change." Housman said. These modes of change range from women's issues to nuclear disarmament.

Robert M. Warren, a Law School library employee who helped organize the drive, yesterday said he appreciates Community Works as an alternative to the United Way "because it is much smaller and can keep track of where its money goes," and because the group is more politically liberal.

Gratitude

"We are really pleased with the Harvard response," said Housman yesterday. The largest contributions came from workers at the Law School and the School of Public Health.

Warren, a key organizer at the Law School, said "most of those who donated make under $12,000 a year and are secretaries and support staff.

Several faculty also contributed. Housman said that John Womack Jr. '59, chairman of the History department, provided Community Works with a list of faculty members whom he though would be sympathetic to the cause.