Mass. College Right-Wingers Hold Two-Day Harvard Meeting

By Jeffrey C. Levy

A growing state-wide college Republican movement met at Harvard this past weekend as the Republican hosted students from a dozen other schools in the 12th annual Massachusetts College Republican union convention and secured four of nine executive board seats.

Approximately 70 people gathered at Harvard Hall Saturday to elect new officers, formulate its agenda for the coming year, and compare notes on Republicanism at their schools in the largest turnout ever for the event.

Michael E. Malamat, a second-year law student and president of the Law School's Ripon Society a moderate Republican organization was elected Vice-Chairman of Programming. Michael J. Browne '86 was elected Treasurer and Marie J. Lucca '86 and Douglas Listed, another law student, were both elected as Directors of the Union.

In addition to getting these four voting positions on the board, the club succeeded in securing non-voting status for Richard A. Bennett '84 as the Board's Executive Director.

"The convention was very successful from Harvard's standpoint." he said yesterday.

Resolutions were also passed at the convention unanimously urging Reagan to run for reelection, supporting the "Solomon Amendment" which ties student aid to draft registration and opposing mandatory funding of MassPIRG. a student-run consumer research group.

The Union is a federation of all Massachusetts college Republican clubs and lends organizational and financial support to campus Republican organizations. "By lending the support of its name, the Union provides schools with a greater exposure of speakers and allows them to accomplish much more than they otherwise could." Lister said last week.

Nearly all of the delegates from the colleges that participated in the convention said that membership has been increasing in the Republican clubs at their schools.

"There is a rise of conservatism on campuses." Daniel Blatt of Williams College, the new Union Chairman, said yesterday.

Blatt attributed this rise to a combination of effective organization and blunders by the Left "I think that the Left has antagonized so many people that people want a rational outlet," he added.

Blatt said that his first objective as president will be to organize a petition of 10,000 signatures in support of Walter Polovchak, a 14-year-old Russian immigrant known as the littlest dissident." He added that he would like to bring William Simon, former Secretary of the Treasury, to Massachusetts for a speaking tour of several campuses some time next year.