Processors

Newly installed word processors which have been available for the past week at no charge will now cost users at least three dollars per hour.

The processors were installed April 1 in Currier, Leverett, and Mather Houses and the Freshman Union, and made available for student use April 5.

Currently, all the machines donated by the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), are coin-operated, but once improved coin boxes arrive, the processors will also accept tokens.

After the change to tokens is made, the processors will cost students $3 an hour, while using coins will cost $4 an hour.

The tokens will be available at the Science Center stockroom.

Kits of diskettes and instruction manuals for the "coinop" machines are on sale for $10 at the stockroom.

Students are purchasing these materials at a rate of about 10 to 12 kits a day, a stockroom worker said yesterday.

Mark Van Baslen '66, manager of data systems, said that the remainder of the processors will be deployed "as soon as we get a small shipment of coin boxes," which will probably not be until the fall.

Eve Goren, a staff member at the Office for Information Technology, said the program is "definitely very successful," and added that many students have used the processors.