Ride for Life

Short Takes

Robert M. Coles '50, professor of psychiatry and medical humanities, yesterday led an appeal to faculty and staff members at a kick-off fundraising reception for students participating in the Ride for Life this summer.

The Ride for Life, a 10-week transcontinental bike expedition scheduled to begin on June 13 from Seattle, is a student-run project that will donate $250,000 to Oxfam America for its fight against world hunger. The reception yesterday raised funds for the 39 Harvard students' expenses.

Delivering the keynote speech during a reception in the penthouse of Holyoke Center, Coles attracted over $2000 in donations from approximately 50 faculty members, Mark Takano '83, the group's spokesman, said yesterday.

The donations fell short of the group's $4000 goal. The expenses for the trip total $27,500.

"I was really happy with it, and it was very encouraging," said the project's coordinator, Daniel M. Pallotta '83, "but we still need much more."

Coles stressed the importance for faculty members to join in the effort. "They can help by giving moral of financial support," he said, adding, "If we can't come together around this then I don't know what we can come together on."

Also present at the reception was Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, a member of the II-man University advisory board for the project. "I am very impressed by the effort." Epps said. There's never been anything like this in the 25 years I've been here."

The reception was sponsored by University Health Services, which donated the penthouse and provided food and beverages.

The next step in the fund drive is a campus-wide fast planned for Thursday, April 21. The money Harvard food services saves on that day will be donated to the Ride for Life.

Pallotta said he hoped the fast's revenues would bring the project to half its expenses.