Brad Martin

Crimson Captain Recalls Spikers' Early Years

By Mohammed Kashani-sabet

Some players, like the seniors of this year's hockey team, live through a team's good times and bad times.

Some others, like Brad Martin, senior captain of the men's volleyball team, witness many good times and some nonexistent ones--nonexistent because when Martin arrived at Harvard three years ago, there was no varsity volleyball squad.

Nevertheless, the Crimson club team garnered the New England League Championship that year, and Martin, now the sole veteran of that formative period, has been one of the mainstays of an ever-flourishing volleyball program.

"Brad has been a big part of the team for a long time, and he has a dual function of captain and [unofficial assistant] coach," says Martin's teammate Mark Chang, who switched from basketball to volleyball last year. "He helped me a lot last year, and he is doing the same this year with Mo," Chang adds, referring to sophomore Mohan Nadkarni, a starter who made a similar switch.

Furthermore, Chang believes that Martin acts as a "stabilizing force." Coach Ihsan Gurdal, who played for the Turkish national team, agrees: "Brad is very consistent and calm, very much in control. He never loses his confidence. He is the one that talks sense when we are in a tough position, and he calms the young kids."

Both men also concur that these qualities have a lot to do with Martin's position on the floor. As a setter he can't afford to falter since he is the focal point of the team's attack. Martin's reliability and equanimity result in pinpoint setting for his teammates salvos.

Martin himself comprehends this pressure, but as a co-captain last year, he has had enough time to adjust. "At first I filled my role and waited for others to fill theirs," he explains, but as a captain "how you play matters. That puts a little pressure on me."

Dynasty

With Martin, however, the "pressure" accompanied his decision to play volleyball at Harvard, since he was to continue a by-now-impressive family tradition. Older sibling Roger '79 set for the squad in his four-year sojourn and even coached the spikers during Brad's freshman and sophomore years. "My brother was a setter and I filled his shoes on the team," says the Class of '83 Martin. The natives of Ontario have already acted as setters for eight straight years, and since Brad's sophomore brother Terry also starts this year, Brad hopes to see "10 straight years of Martin setting."

Martin recalls that at first, Roger "was worried about the conflict of interests--one brother coaching another--but they needed a setter and I started freshman year." He has enjoyed playing alongside. Terry more than being coached by his elder brother. "Playing with my little brother and watching him improve has been really satisfying. Playing with your brother is always something special."

In his association with Harvard volleyball, Martin has witnessed the squad achieve varsity status. "When I first came to Harvard, I wasn't disappointed that there was no [varsity] team since the [club] team had such a solid footing."

Legislator

But as a varsity squad, the team has established itself as a New England power, winning the New England League Championship and the New England Open twice in a row.

The success in New England came almost effortlessly. "Winning it freshman year was exciting," Martin says, "but as a defending champion you always expect to win and don't get as excited."

The squad has had its best performances to date this year by capturing the usual New England titles and coming within a game of clinching a berth in the East's final four. The spikers trounced nemesis Princeton but fell to Pitt in the IAB in the finals of the NCAA Regional on April 17.

However, the Crimson has been able to muster only runner-up finishes behind Princeton in the Ivies the past two years.

So it seems the players will be particularly geared for the elusive Ivy League championship, up for grabs in Harvard's season finale on April 30 at the IAB. "In the back of everybody's minds in an Ivy championship," says Martin of the crown the Crimson has never won.

Martin believes that the team is in the right position for closing out its post-season play with a victory. "We're far steadier, and the coach is now working on our mental preparation... the mental aspect may be more important than anything else right now."

Martin has also made long-range plans. He is majoring in economics and following graduation in June will work for the Canadian Government doing economic research. But for now only volleyball occupies his thoughts. "We haven't [ever] had a sweet victory. We've dominated New England but we haven't stepped outside and now it's time. I want a nice victory to finish off my Harvard career."