5 Seniors Receive Fellowships For A Year's Sojourn Abroad

Awards Recognize Creative Travel Plans

By Melibba I. Webssero

Harvard yesterday announced the five winners of the Trestman and Sign Fellowships, which subsidize navel abroad for graduating seniors.

Jamin B. Raskin '83, Patricia S. Bellinger '83, and James Polsfut '83 won the Trustman Fellowships which give each recipient $5000 for their year abroad.

Trustman Fellowships are awarded to Harvard students who have submitted creative travel plans and who do not plan to enroll in an academic institution while away, officials said yesterday.

The Shaw Fellowships, which are similar to the Trustman Scholarships except that only men can apply, went to Kenneth B. Preundlich '83 and Robert D, State '83.

"What is special about these travel fellowships is the valuable opportunity for travel and reflection after four years of study." Graham Holmes, associate of the Harvard Club who coordinates fellowships, said yesterday.

Itineraries

Raskin said that he will use his grant money to explore the anti-nuclear movement in Europe, adding that he will try "to find our what it can tell us about participatory democracy and the formulation of foreign policy."

Raskin said he will visit France, Holland, England and West Germany because "these are the four countries where the anti-nuclear movement is strongest."

Another Trustman winner, Patricia S. Bellinger '83 said she will split her time evenly between France, England, and Spain, adding she will work in a different theater company in each country.

Bellinger, who is the President of Black C.A.S.T., said that "with the economic situation, the arts are difficult to get into. This could be just what I need."

Polsfut, the third Trustman winner, said he plans to visit Ecuador, Chile, Costa Rica and Spain, to "learn more about the in exces between Americans and Hispanics react to death."

"We felt that they could not only be good ambassadors, but they could also put together some interesting insights and come away different." Jamess A. Quitsund '63, one of the judges for the Trustman Fellowships said yesterday.

Show Plans

Both Show Fellowship winners will also travel in Europe. One winner, Kenneth B. Freundich '83 said he wants "to go to Europe and observe the jazz scene."