Police Blotter

Harvard Police were busy this week with a higher-than-average number of larcenies, yet there was decrease in the number of violent crimes.

There were eight larcenies of items worth more than $100 and six larcenies of items worth less than $100. One bicycle was stolen, and there was only one case of breaking and entering.

While Harvard Police warned five people off Harvard property this week, they arrested two, one for trespassing, and the other for disorderly, conduct. Neither were students. There were four cases of malicious destruction.

Police reported two fires, and called twice for an ambulance.

Instances of particular interest: Tuesday, November 22: Milton Edlow, Jr., a 21-year old resident of Boston, was arrested by Cambridge Police and charged with cruelty to animals Police said Edlow is accused of kicking a kitten 12 inches into the air watching it fall, then laughing with friends about the event.

Thursday, November 24: Keezer's the venerable used clothing store on Concord Avenue, was the victim of a larceny. Thieves smashed the store's front with a cinderblock. Streling silver pieces are missing.

Thursday, December 1: Harvard officers were called to Quincy Street to assist a security guard in restraining a disturbed and violent man. The subject was clamed by the officers and transported to the Cambridge City Hospital's mental clinic for observation.

A female identified the man as one who struck her while she was walking on Quincy Street. The woman, however, was not hurt and declined to press charges.

Police say the man has a history of psychological problems.

Wednesday, November 29: In a case reminiscent of last year's crime at the Freshman Union, a freshman reported that his black and grey winter coat was stolen from the coatroom some time between 6:15 and 7:05 pm. There are no suspects in the case.

On Wednesday night at 10:30 pm Harvard police responded to a complaint near 641 Huntington Avenue of an elderly black male wearing a grey trenchcoat exposing himself. By the time patrolmen arrived, however, the man was gone. There have been no other complaints of such behavior near the medical school this year.

Monday, November 27: At 4:30 pm fire department units, Harvard police and university engineers responded to a fire alarm in Winthrop House. The fire, caused by a pan of burning meat, was quickly extinguished. Firemen and police together aired the building of thick smoke that had accumulated.