Students Take MCAT Today; Dismiss Test's Importance

Short Takes

By Deborah L. Paul

Over 100 nervous Harvard pre-meds will face one of the most grueling of all standardized tests today when they take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Which is required for admission to medical school.

Despite the test's fierce level of competition provided by aspiring doctors nationwide, last-minute studiers yesterday said preparing for the exam had not seriously disrupted their lives.

Many others, however, admitted feeling unusual pressure which forced them to reviews the syllabus of biology, chemistry, math and physics many times.

"Everyone's uptight about it but there haven't been any suicides," said Ned Sacktor '84, who faces the six-hour endurance test in Memorial Hall today.

"It's not that big a deal My life hasn't changed," said Ann C Bridges 84 adding however, that she and her other premed roommates recently started downing a shot to get to bed at night.

Many of the April 9 registrants said that their spring break had provided a vital studying period. One junior who wished to remain unidentified said the exam "disrupted" his "personal life" over the 10-day break. On his plane ride home at the start of vacation the junior ran into a female friend from high school. After renewing their friendship he changed his returning ticket to her flight and planned to see her during the break. However, despite his interest in the relationship, he decided "not to pursue it" because he had to study for his MCAT.

Alan W. Heldman '84 cancelled his plan to go to Florida over vacation. "As MCAT date got closer and closer. I got more and more dubious of leaving town," said Heldman who is taking the test to keep the medical school option open.

Many undergraduates hope this year's exam will be relatively uneventful. Last year a riot disturbed MCAT test takers at Boston University. During the most different part of the exam a hand began playing outside the test building. The noise increased and eventually a riot broke out and police came.

Contrary to the legend of cutthroat competition among be future doctors. "pre-meds" take care of each other very nicely," said Currier House pre-med advisor Shah Khoshbin.

As part of a reassurance program at Currier, senior MCAT veterans advise junior premeds preparing for the exam.

Dr. Robert M. "Skip" Nelson, the pre-med advisor at Dunster House said that while his advises "weren't outwardly shaking" the anxiety level seems higher than when he took the exam some years ago. John P. Freeman '84 said he approached the test with a "mellower" attitude than most students have. After the exam "I plan to get thouroughly trashed" he said.