Plane Facts.

Knobler Than Thou

By Mike Knobler

For those diehards still following the unresolved sags of the Harvard baseball team, here's the, latest rundown on the squad's Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League title hopes.

When last we left the 14-3-1 Crimson, it had just swept Cornell and Army to take a two-game lead in the league standings. All that remains unresolved was the Cornell-Navy doubleheader that was rained out Sunday.

The Big Red hosts the 11-4-1 Midshipmen tomorrow at noon, and if Cornell wins either game, then Harvard takes the league crown. Otherwise, the Crimson boards US Air flight 301 for Ithaca, N.Y. tomorrow evening.

The second game of Harvard's April 17 twinbill at Navy ended in a tie because of darkness, and league rules state that no tie can determine the league champion.

So, though Harvard would still lead Navy by a game, the two teams would have to play out their tie. If the seven-inning game is played and Navy wins, a nine-inning game will follow for the championship. If Harvard wins either the first or the second game, it wins the title.

Should the Navy-Cornell twinbill be rained out, it would be played Sunday and the Harvard-Navy games would be played Monday if necessary.

The league champion moves on to the NCAA Northeastern Regional at Maine Friday, May 27 through Sunday, May 29. Temple and Maine have already earned two of four berths in the double elimination tournament, whose winner goes on to the eight-team College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

"I think when we're playing our best we're one of the top eight teams in the country." Crimson Captain Brad Bauer said last weekend.

The next two weekends give Harvard the chance to prove Bauer's claim.