Jenny Stricker

Track's Sophomore Sensation Stays on Stride

By Mark Mead

Sixth, Some athletes would be happy being sixth on the ladder of their local bowling league, but trackster Jenny Stricker isn't even content with having run the sixth fastest women's two mile in the world. The record which the modest sophomore is quick to point out was broken a half hour later in the same meet, is typical of the consistent performer who has helped to re surrect the women's track team.

The headline-making race occurred in March during the Eastern Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women meet at the ITT. The time was by for Stricker's fastest, but it exemplifies a Harvard career that has risen anything but slowly.

During her 1 1/2 years the sophomore sensation has competed in varsity cross country and indoor and outdoor track. She has risen to the top in all three. As a cross country runner Stricker was number one along with team-mate Kate Wiley, placing first in the eastern regionals in Vermont. She followed this performance with a superb indoor track season which saw the Colorado native become a double winner in the Heptagonals and take third in the two mile at the NCAAs on her way to earning All-America honors.

If Assistant Coach Pappy Hunt is correct, then Stricker should exhibit similar prowess this spring. "If Jenny keeps progressing we're looking forward to her having a great season and eventually be a strong Olympic potential," Hunt says. While Stricker has concentrated mainly on the shorter distances in the past, her coaches believe she has the strength and speed needed to become an outstanding long distance runner. But, for the time being, "she has a love affair with the 1500 and mile." Assistant Coach Dennis Cochran Fikes says.

Stricker's love affair with track in general started in ninth grade of Colorado's Pamona High School. She began with the hurdles her father's event when he competed for Kalamazoo University. Eventually she rose to become the women's junior national champion in the 1500 and a member of the junior Pan American team. Stricker attributes much of her success to her family. "We never had a sedentary family," she says, "we were always backpacking or other things athletic." Though she didn't remain with her father's old event. Stricker does concode that it was a paternal influence that first kindled an interest in running.

Stricker's dedication can best be seen in her devotion to the team. While she laments that her personal goals often interfere with those of the team, Fikes says. "Winning for herself and the team if very important for her." Adds Hunt, "It's sometimes hard to keep her down, you don't get kids like that too often."

Academy Award

In discussing her role on the Crimson squad and her future. Stricker likes to think of the movie "Chariots of Fire." She sees the Harvard system as being similar to the '20s Cambridge system depicted in the film. Both require the athlete to reach his potential on his own. "The coaches are there if you want to make the best of them you can, but you have to make your own effort. Harvard forces you to be independent, to fight to be good."

Stricker has continually improved her times and posted a school record 4:36.37 mile at the Penn Relays last weekend. The Winthrop House sophomore looks forward to competing on the combined Harvard-Yale squad that will travel to England for meets with Cambridge and Oxford.

Unfortunately, Stricker may have a problem--the nationals at Houston may conflict with the England trip, leaving her to choose between meets. As the sophomore says, Harvard forces you to make decisions, and this may be the hardest of her young career.