Graduate Students Protest Renovations

By Jeffrey C. Levy

Major external renovations at a Harvard-owned group of apartments have sparked graduate student residents to file a petition with Harvard Real Estate (HRE), protesting the timing and manner of the renovations, which they claim have disrupted their studies for final exams.

The $80,000 renovations of the Beckwith Circle apartments entail substantial work on nearly all of the buildings' exteriors, including roof repairs, masonry, insulation, and painting. David M. Rosen, Harvard's director of public relations, said last week. The work, which began April 19, is scheduled to be completed by June 17, he added.

The last time that major renovations were done at Beckwith Circle was in 1973, when the buildings were first acquired by the University. Rosen said, Although the tenants admit that the renovations are in order, they say they cannot understand why the work is being done now.

Unconscionable

"It is unconscionable that the Harvard housing authorities should decide on precisely this time for construction work." Scott E. Kalb, a graduate student in East Asian studies, said yesterday. "Obviously renovations are needed, but this is not the time."

Nearly all of the approximately 50 residents are either law or graduate students, and the construction has directly conflicted with their reading period and final exams, as well as take-home exams, Kalb said.

Residents cite several reasons for their discontent in the petition to HRE official Lorraine Wade.

*lack of storm windows and screens;

*lack of off-street parking;

*noise beginning at 8:15 every morning and continuing all day;

*lack of heat and hot water on April 26.

Peter B. Saba, another Beckwith resident, also expressed concern about the lack of notice, the lack of resident input and the lack of response from Harvard housing officials despite repeated telephone calls.

Rosin said that HRE has been trying to work with the residents in the apartments but that officials do not feel the construction is a major imposition to the students.

He added that it is difficult to come up with a work schedule which pleases everyone and that there is neither the manpower available not the time to complete all work during the summer

The petitioners have threatened to withhold their May rent in protest of the construction and place it into an account until the matter has been revolved. But Kalb said that even this last resort may be undermined by a University policy of adding rent onto students' term bills

No student can graduate who has not paid his term bill and thus the University could withhold diplomas from the protestors Kalb explained

One resident said that the petitioners are considering taking legal action against HRE in hopes of getting an injunction against further construction after the exam period has ended.

Lawrence R. Lincoln, another Beckwith resident, included his own message on the position: "I object to noise during exam periods. On a recent morning I was awakened at 7:54 a.m. I hope that you live in a quiet neighborhood. Ms Wadr.