Euripides Conquers Harvard Gridiron

More Than 1,000 Witness Greek Tragedy

By Per H. Jebsen

Grazing sheep, Theban women dressed in flowing colored robes, stern warriors, and mighty Dionysus turned Harvard Stadium into a scene of ancient drama yesterday afternoon before a crowd of 1000.

The occasion was an unusual production of Euripides' "The Bacchae," sponsored by the Harvard Classics Club and intended as a historically correct presentation of the ancient Greek tragedy.

Gridiron Drama

It was the first time in 77 years that such a play had been staged in the stadium, whose stone bleachers suggest a classical amphitheatre. The inspiration for the play came from a 1906 production of Aeschylus' "Agamemnon"--the last time a tragedy was staged on the gridiron. Therese Sellers '83, president of the Classics Club and leader of the play's Greek chorus, said yesterday.

The crowd gave a standing ovation at the end of the two-hour production--which was performed in English except for the choral dialogue, spoken in Ancient Greek.

The play "was like a big, white elephant, dressed as Isadora Duncan dancing in the Parthenon, but fun," said one spectator.

Carl J. Sprague '84, director of the play, was pleased with the enthusiastic response to the play and said his largest fear rain--had not materialized.

Actors roamed the entire stadium from top to bottom. The bans emerged from the entrance tunnels to the stands, and Dionysus delivered his final speech from the stadium's upper deck.

The play's budget totalled $5000, Sellers said, adding that the club raised the necessary funds from alumni interested in the classics, the Undergraduate Council, and the Classics Department.