Netmen Go Undefeated in Ivies; Two Gain NCAA Singles Berths

By Carla D. Williams

The singles competition was enough to determine a win for the Harvard men's tennis team, as they toppled Cornell's netmen, 6-0, Friday in Ithaca. The doubles matches were cancelled after the singles contest had lasted past 7 p.m. and both coaches agreed that the long road trip ahead for the Crimson could start a little earlier.

The Crimson only dropped one set in its six singles matches. Most of the visitors found their games less than challenging, though the win clinched the Ivy title following a big victory over Princeton on Thursday.

The big challenge for the Crimson will come in tomorrow's home match at the Beren Tennis Center, when the netmen face perennially top ranked Clemson "We have a chance to beat a really tough team," said Coach Dave Fish. "We've played some excellent tennis against Princeton, and we have a really good team this year."

First seed Howard Sands, who had missed a week of practice before downing Princeton's Ted Farnsworth (ranked third in the nation) on Thursday, did not play. Warren Grossman, nearing the end of a strong season, moved up into Sands's slot for the third time this year. The coach's decision was made to give Grossman a chance to battle Cornell's Dave Merritt, a highly lauded sophomore before the NCAA tournament selections are in announced today. By all indications, Grossman, who took a 7.5, 6-4 win, and Sands have both earned singles spots for Harvard, of the four selected from the northeastrn region.

Sands and Grossman will also break up from their doubles partners of most of the year to play as a pair together this weekend in the nationals. They play similar games and for that reason, they have not been parted to gather during their four years in Crimson jerseys. "We try to put different styles of play together." Fish said. "But they are both very strong doubles players, and I'm sure with some practice together, they will do pretty well "Fish plans to take his top six with two other team members to the NCAAs.