A Look 12 Championships

(And a Little Bit ore)

This year brought more drama, excrement and success than any other you in the 131-year history of Harvard intercollegiate athletics. The highlight of all came when the men's hockey team through the playoffs to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) fire (Upper left corner) Defenseman MIT BOLSON leaps into the air after scoring open-net goal against Yale. Hockey-may swept the campus, uniting the student be like nothing else in recent years. Fans tossed tennis balls, coins and a live chicken the ice during the Cornell game (lower ), and at the game's end one students the Cornell goalie with a beer can. CODE (25) and DAVE CONNORS do Providence's RICH COSTELLO is one of the plays that brought crowds to the feet. (Above) Coach BILL CLEARY as his team celebrate their NCAA quarterfinal victory over Michigan State.

The football team won its first Ivy championship since 1975, but there were a count of unpleasant surprises along the (Lower picture) A roughing-the-kicker gives Penn a second chance for a game to winning field goal, and the Crimson's 21 triumph becomes a 23-21 heartbreak (Top picture) The next week, an MIT practice balloon emerges from beneath the 46-yale line in the first half of the 99th The Gar But not all of the surprises were unpleased (Upper right corner) Senior quartered DON ALLARD shows the passing form helped his team reach a record-high Harvard point total in The Game and helped reach a University record single-game passing yardage earlier in the year ( JOE AZELBY (50), ANDY NOLAN and PAT FLEMING (77) converge for tackle. The three started on one of the defenses in Harvard history.

(Right) Senior HOWARD knocked off the then-number-one player in the college tennis, entered the top 10 himself and led the Crimson through an undefeated Ivy season.

(Far right) JENNIFER WHITE (what pushes the ball past a defender in the still women's most successful season.

(Lower right control) STEVE BARTEN-FELDER suffers an open field assault. The laxmen suffered quite a but this year, but they did down Yale.

The men's track team garnered two Ivy crowns one indoors and one outdoors. (Bottom right) Four time All American ADAM DIXON hits the tape.

(Bottom) Senior MAUREEN FINN shows the determination that enabled the Harvard women's lacrosse team to take the Ivy crown. The laxwomen dropped a heartbreaker to UMass, 7-6, in an NCA'A quarterfinal game.

(Below) MARK FUSCO (left) and KENTON JERNIGAN gained recognition as the top college players in hockey and squash respectively.

(Bottom left) VINNIE MARTELLI set a Harvard career RBI record as the batmen claimed their 12th Eastern League title. The Crimson finished the season second only to Maine in the Northeast.

The men's soccer team sputtered through a 5-10 season. (Bottom left) MICHAEL MOGOLLAR uses his head.

(Far left) The men's heavyweight crew claimed its first Eastern Sprints title in three years.

(Above left) VICKI PALMER (14) and ALEX LIGHTFOOT show off their second straight Beanpot, earned with a win over Northeastern.

(Left) ELIZABETH EVANS savors a backhand return. The women's tennis team lost only one league match en route to the Ivy championship.

(Near left) DAN WATSON plunges waterward in one of the dives that earned him third place in NCAA one-meter competition. The men's swimming team extended its NCAA-leading Division I dual-meet winning streak to 32 meets.

(Left--center) JENNY STRICKER strides out the yards in indoor competition. Stricker led the Ivy champion cross country team in the fall, then continued her exploits in track. She ran the sixth fastest women's two-mile ever.