Harvard, Union Still Disagree Over Open Food Service Talks

By Holly A. Idelson

Following months of delay, negotiations between the University and the food service workers' union are scheduled to begin June 14, but the two sides continue to disagree on the issue of opening the talks to the public and press.

Despite threats of a strike and a June 19 expiration date for the workers' current three-year contract, representatives from the University and union had failed to agree on terms for negotiations until a May 26 meeting with a federal mediator resolved the impasse.

The two sides seem to differ, however, on how the controversial issue of opening the talks was settled.

Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel for employee relations said yesterday that the two sides agreed during the meeting with the mediator that, while each side would have a caucus room open to the public, the actual negotiations would be closed.

But union leader Domenic M. Bozzotto yesterday said the issue of open negotiations would have to be decided by the union negotiating team at the first bargaining session. He added that he had agreed only to the idea of establishing caucussing rooms for each team.

Powers has opposed holding public negotiating session because he says they would prevent "frank and open discussions." He added yesterday that he had "never had anyone demand open negotiations before" and that it is "an unfair labor practice to make that demand."

However, Powers has not said whether he would refuse to negotiate in open sessions.

"Powers is saying the decision has already been made, but it can't be made until that day (June 14)," said Bozzotto, president of Local 26 of the International Hotel, Restaurant and International Employees and Bartenders Union which represents the dining hall workers.

Bozzotto added that in the past, the union negotiating committee has supported open talks. "There is nothing sacred or mystical about negotiations and anyone who wants to observe should be allowed to," But Powers said that the Federal mediator who set the negotiating teams. Gerard M. Gomez had confirmed to him that the agreement reached at the meeting called for private negotiating sessions.

"It's not an open question," Powers added.

Gomez was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Both Powers and Bozzotto said yesterday that the mediator had been helpful in drawing up conditions to start the talks. They explained that Gomez had proposed the idea of separate caucus rooms for the groups.

"Powers and I were getting nowhere before Gomez intervened, Bozzotto said. Although Bozzotto had originally refused to meet with a mediator he agreed last month to use an outside arbitrator to help draw up negotiation terms but not the contract itself he said.

According to union officials, the food service workers have asked Harvard for an across the board wage hike, free medical insurance, as well as several "worker dignity clauses--including a ban on potential subcontracting of food services.

Although the University has public offered few concessions thus far Powers said it was quite possible that the two side could reach an agreement on a new contract before the June 19 expiration date. Union leader have stated that the workers might stage a strike if a new contract is not agreed upon by that date. The dining hall worker have not struck over a contract in the 45 years since they became unionized.