House Strongly Supports Mass. Draft/Aid Linkage

By John D. Solomon

A bill that would deny state financial aid to students who do not register for the draft has moved through the state legislature, receiving preliminary approval from the State House two weeks ago.

Modeled after the U.S. law that restricts federal financial aid, this is the first legislation on a state level which would prevent a non-registrant from collecting his share of state scholarship grants and loans.

The legislation would affect the $8 million in aid which the state plans to distribute during fiscal year 1984.

Approximately 100 Harvard students receive financial aid from the state, according to James S. Miller, director of financial aid. Miller added that he did not know how many of these students would be affected by the proposed law.

Possible Veto

If the House gives the measure the expected final approval this week, it will go to the Senate for consideration. Gov. Michael S. Dukakis would eventually have to sign the legislation into law if it passes both bodies.

An aide to the governor said last night that Dukakis opposes the federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment; but would not say whether the governor would veto the state's proposal. A two-thirds vote in both houses would override such a move.

"I'm a little tired of handing out money to people who don't fulfill responsibilities to the system," the sponsor of the bill. Walter A. DeFilippi (R-West Springfield) said late last week.

Opponents of the legislation held a rally yesterday outside the Statehouse which drew only six people. "I assume that the sponsors and supporters are for it for patriotic motives. I respect that," Rep. Thomas Gallagher (D-Brighton) said at a pre-rally news conference, "but I suggest that they are entirely wrong." He added that he believes the bill may be unconstitutional.

Bill Tabled

DeFilippi first offered the bill early in the year, but it was tabled because of a federal district court's ruling that the federal law was unconstitutional because it violated the right to a fair trial and the amendment against self-incrimination. The U.S. Supreme Court issued an indefinite stay on the lower court ruling until the justices could make a final decision later this year.

When the injunction was lifted indefinitely, DeFilippi reintroduced the bill. It was reported out of the House Education committee with a negative recommendation, but the full body overwhelmingly backed DeFilippi in a test vote, 99-47.

In order to comply with the state law, students applying for state aid would have to submit a form indicating they had registered for the draft. The bill permits students to use the same form used for the federal law.