'My Place is the Philippines'

Benigno S. Aquino Remembered: A Crimson Interview

Crimson reporter Antony J. Blinken interviewed Filipino opposition leader Benigno Aquano in April 1982 during his two-year stint as a fellow at Harvard's Center for International Affairs Aquino was slain August 21, moments after returning to his homeland. Following are Blinken's reflections on that interview

Benigno Aquino stood in his Center for International Affairs (CFIA) office weating a sheepish smile and waging what appeared to be a losing battle against a mass of papers and documents that cluttered his small desk

"I've got to admit there are times when I see [President Ferdinand] Marcos's point," he said "Order is the most important thing." Then he laughed and invited me to sit down.

The mess, Aquino explained, was the result of a half-completed book on the history of democracy in the Philippines. Writing, he said, was proving more difficult than he had anticipated. "But whenever I feel frustrated by the lack of progress." Aquino added, "the passion for my subject gives me a push and I carry on."

Even a short visit with Aquino would no doubt have sufficed to convince anyone that his avowed passion for his Philippines carried over to life in general. During our hour together, Aquino laughed frequently and talked with near contagious warmth about the University, faculty and students he had encountered--and the United States. And when he spoke in admiration of this nation's democratic system, he did so with an almost wide-eyed delight of having discovered something new, not the haughty aloofness one might expect from a leading political figure.

Our brief discussion centered on the political situation in Manila and Aquino's plan for the future. Like others who have talked with him. I was surprised at the opposition leader's lack of hatred for President Marcos. Though Aquino argued eloquently against the imposition of martial law in the Philippines and decried the authoritarian nature of Marcos regime, he expressed some sympathy for a man whose government had sentenced Aquino to death

"Although I believe that Marcos's policies are a catastrophic for my country. I also think Marcos believes what he is doing is right." Aquino said "I personally wish for nothing more than to convince him with words not violence, that he is wrong"

Aquino made it clear that he intended to return in the near future to his homeland. Although he said "Harvard is like a second home to me." Aquino stated several times that he felt both restless and a little useless because he was so far away from the center of his concerns. "My place is in the Philippines that is where I belong," he said, adding that "while my stay here has been invaluable for the time it has given me to think and talk with others. This is not the place I can do the most good

Although he wasn't sure what role he would play in the political life of the Philippines upon his return. Aquino spoke with certainty about the future for democracy in his country. "There was a strong democratic tradition in the Philippines before Marcos imposed martial law and there is no reason we cannot return to that and prosper True, we didn't have a perfect society, but then no democracy should have such a pretension. We can only strive continually to make things better."

About an hour into our talk. Aquino suddenly remembered an appointment he had to keep and asked it we could continue our discussion another time I assured him I already had enough information to write an article, but he insisted, so we set another date. But because of Aquino's increasingly hectic schedule and the impending conclusion of the academic year, we failed to meet, and the article went unwritten. I never saw Aquino again.

As he escorted me out of his office to the elevator down the hall. Aquino spoke affectionately about some of his CFIA colleagues whose names were written on the doors we passed. Then looking pensive, he said one final thing. "You know, democracy is a very slow process that seems so frustrating at times. But for now, it's the best system we have."

"Whenever I feel frustrated by the lack of progress, the passion for my subject gives me a push and I carry on."

Benigno S. Aquino, April 1962