Webster

after the vessel was located trying to secure it for the lift, but the incoming tide prevented an attempt.

The divers resumed yesterday morning and the cabin cruiser's windshield broke the surface around 11:30 a.m. Shortly after noon, the boat was lifted by crane to a nearby floating dry dock.

The operation attracted most of the Boston news media, and several private boats cruised by to watch.

Paradiso's attorney Jim Cipoletta, who also watched from the pier would not positively identify the boat because he had not been allowed to see the vessel's stern.

He said that police assertions about his client "are pretty much unsubstantiated at this time." Cipoletta added that authorities had turned the salvage operation into a media event.

"What we're trying to avoid here is a trial in the press," he said.

Forty-one-year-old Paradiso wrote. The Boston Herald and WNEV-TV earlier this year stating that he was not involved in the Webster case and that his boat was reported stolen in July 1981.

Palumbo said yesterday that a police report listing the vessel missing was on file in July 1981.

Webster disappeared from the Eastern Airline baggage claim area at Logan Airport around 10:30 p.m. on November 28, 1981. The 22-year-old was returning from spending Thanksgiving with her family in Glen Ridge, N.J.

According to State Police Sgt. Jim Sartori, Paradiso has been "a prime suspect" in the Webster case since January. He added that investigators had considered him before the January tip because Ianuzzi's body was found about 200 yards from the spot where fishermen later found Webster's pocketbook and wallet in a marsh near Saugus, Mass.

The location where the Malafemmina, which means evil woman in Italian, was sunk is a few hundred yards from a commercial lobster company where Paradiso once worked. Authorities said he often moored the boat at the pier.