Stockholm-Bound

Short Takes

A Harvard senior will travel to Stockholm this week to address an international youth conference on relations between the United States and Latin America.

jonathan H. Spalter '84, who will leave Thursday and remain in conference from Oct. 3 to Oct. 7, said the conference's goal is to inform Western European liberal political parties and activists of "several issues in Latin American-united States relations."

Sponsored by the Liberal Party of the European Parliament, the conference will bring together more than 200 student representatives from Latin America and Western Europe.

Spalter, who traveled to Nicaragua last year on an international youth fact-finding mission, said the International Federation of Liberal and Radical Youth is paying for his trip.

The vice chairperson of the Americans for Democratic Action Youth Caucus--the nation's largest liberal coalition of students--Spalter said he believes Western European liberal political parties can exert a strong influence on the direction of U.S. policies in Latin America.

At the conference, Spalter said, he will give a speech analyzing the direction of the current American economic and political policies towards several Latin American countries. He criticized what he called the Reagan Administration's "reluctance to view the political and economic affairs in Latin America in their true perspective," adding that recent U.S. policies "have moved such countries as Nicaragua further away from the American sphere of influence rather than bringing them closer."

Spalter said his advisors feel the time spent at this conference is as well spent as it would be in classes.