Padres Sneak Past Tigers, 5-3

SAN DIEGO--Atonement came for Kurt Bevacqua and Dick Williams as the San Diego Padres pulled even with the Detroit Tigers in the 1984 World Series last night.

Bevacqua, who stumbled on the basepaths in Game One, hit a game-winning, three-run homer as the Padres won Game Two 5-3.

And Williams, the Padres' manager who admittedly allowed starter Mark Thurmond to throw one too many pitches Tuesday night, took second game starter Ed Whitson out before the first inning was over, allowing relievers Andy Hawkins and Craig Lefferts to perform their heroics.

Bevacqua's homer with one out in the fifth inning erased a 3-2 Detroit lead--the score by which the Tigers won Game One--and Hawkins and Lefferts pitched 8 1/3 innings of two-hit, no-walk, scoreless relief.

Since Game Four of San Diego's five-game victory over Chicago in the National League playoffs, Padres relievers have pitched 21 consecutive scoreless innings.

Bevacqua, a 37-year-old designated hitter, ran the Padres out of a potential rally in the seventh inning of the Series opener when he stumbled rounding second and was out trying to stretch a double into a triple.

"I knew I wasn't going to get thrown out at third on that ball," Bevacqua said of his home run.

As he watched the ball sail into the left field seats, Bevacqua jumped in the air and spun around at first base. He pumped the number-one sign with a finger as he rounded second, and as he trotted around third. Bevacqua pressed both hands against his lips and blew a kiss, he said was meant for his wife in the crowd of 57,911 at Jack Murphy Stadium.

The victory sent the Series back to Detroit tied 1-1 with Games Three, Four and Five scheduled for tomorrow night, Saturday and Sunday.