Big Green Trips Harriers As Women Slip Past Hosts

The Harvard cross-country squad made its trip to Hanover, N.H., count yesterday, as the women took home an important victory and the men looked strong despite falling to a powerhouse Dartmouth team.

The Big Green's Jim Sapienza set a course record in the men's meet, clocking 28:26.8 over the 4.8-mile route. Marcel Gauthier of Dartmouth followed on Sapienza's heels.

Almost a minute behind the winner was Harvard's Paul Gompers, who took third despite coming off a recent ankle injury.

Crimson harriers Cliff Sheehan, Paul Kent and Peter Jelley finished 5-6-7, and Andrew Gerkin of Harvard took 10th place to give the Cantabs 31 points.

But Dartmouth, which may very well be the strongest squad in the Heptagonal group--the Ivy League, Army and Navy--held on to claim a surprisingly slim five-point victory.

Shattered

In the women's race, the Big Green's Moira Teevans broke Crimson junior Jenny Stricker's course record by one-tenth of a second finishing the five-kilometer course in 16:34.1.

Harvard senior Kate Wiley suffered her first loss of the season, taking second honors by finishing seven seconds behind Teevans.

And just behind Wiley came Stricker--back from taking last year off--and freshman phenom Kristen Perini.

Diana Edge and Kathy Goode finished in the eighth and ninth positions, giving the Crimson 26 points to Dartmouth's 31.

The harriers now gear up for Yale and Princeton in next Friday's Big Three meet at New Haven.