Reagan 'Games' Mock President With Song, Dance

More than 100 students gathered on the grass of the Sever Quad Saturday afternoon for the "Reagan Olympics," a student-organized event designed to draw attention to President Reagan's weaknesses.

The audience was treated to anti-Reagan folk songs and to mock speeches and press conferences in which students impersonating Reagan strove to make him appear alternately uninformed, easily confused, bigoted, and extremist.

Although the various "contests"--among them "Best Anecdotal Speech," "Most Mixed-Up Statement of the Trickle-Down Theory," and "Best Rags-to Riches Story"--drew between them only three entrants, the presentations elicited substantial laughter from what appeared to be a predominantly anti-Reagan audience.

Folk songs entitled "Budget Cuts" and "This Old Man" were greeted with whistles and shouts of approval.

The three contestants--Gilbert Fuchsberg '85, Daniel P. Oran '87 and Gary D. Rowe '88--and folk singer/Mondale activist Paul Shea received as prizes mock welfare checks, food stamps, and a handful of jeffy beans.

The four undergraduates who conceived of the event two weeks ago paid for the $200 costs out of their pockets, according to organizer Brian C.W. Palmer '86. They are seeking reimbursement from the Undergraduate Council.

There was one unscheduled Republican interlude in the proceedings as conservative agitator T. Logan Evans '86 commandeered the microphone and began impersonating a series of Democratic presidents.