Just a Dream?

Life is a Dream ("La Vida es sueno") By Don Pedro Calderon de la Barca Directed by Carlos Lapuerta At the Agassiz Theatre, October 25--27

By Stuart A. Anfang

LIFE IS A DREAM has been considered by some to be the "Hamlet" of Spanish theater, both in style and in significance - or so we are told in the program notes of the current production at the Agassiz. Such a definite statement is by itself intriguing, and becomes more so upon seeing the play performed. The play is replete with a number of similarities to Shakespearean drama, as well as notable differences and comparative weaknesses. One wonders whether Calderon, who wrote the play in 1636, had ever gotten the chance to read the work of his English counterpart, who died 20 years earlier. Certainly, there are striking parallels: the line "to a convent you must go," evokes shades of Hamlet's "nunnery" speech, for example.

Unfortunately, that parallelism doesn't extend much farther; the dissatisfying, sometimes maudlin poetry and overt melodrama of Calderon's play - bears little resemblance to the bard's more skillful lines. Yet despite the flaws in the play, this Agassiz production does an admirable job in bringing Calderon's 350-year old imagery to vibrant life.

Director Carlos Lapuerta adds a sense of creativity and imagination to the staging as we watch the plot and subplots smoothly unfold. Look for the predictable (and typically Shakespearean) swordfights, women dressing like men, hidden identities, a death or two, an ending with two marriage engagements, and the requisite comic relief--basic ingredients for 17th century drama. The play, however, is not dated since it grapples with timeless questions such as the nature of truth, dreams and illusion. Yet with a monologue that closes on "Since life is a dream at best, and even dreams themselves are dreams," and lines like "Is the truth not what it seemed," and "To live is but to dream," the message seems to settle into a dull cliche, only occasionally striking the desired emotional chord.

Again, though, the fault seem to lie more with the play than with the production. Lapuerta's able direction is well supported by an outstanding set and lighting design, quite above the caliber of the average student show (no doubt due in large measure to the facilities and funding available to Office for the Arts productions). Moreover, the cast features some particularly good performances, most notable those of Patrick Bradford and Jim Caudle. Unfortunately, last Saturday's show was marred early in the second act by an actor who broke out of character and into unexpected laughter before making an unplanned exit from the stage. He did regain control, and managed to return to finish the scene (with some difficulty) and the remainder of the play, but the distraction had a disturbing affect on the tone and reception of the evening's performance. However that role has apparently been recast and the errant actor replaced, so no further problems are anticipated for this weekend.

As the prince Segismundo, Bradford is outstanding and occasionally inspiring. He brings a feeling of majesty and outraged dignity to his powerful portrayal of the troubled and denied heir to his father's throne. His visible dramatic conviction and sheer physical presence make him perfect for a number of roles--Othelio, for example, springs to mind.

In the contrasting role of the clowning Clarion, Caudle is excellent, although the depth of his character is not made as apparent as it might be. Clad in a Pittsburgh Pirates cap and a matching outfit of sneakers, yellow Bermuda shorts, cheap black imitation kimono, and Hawaiian-print shirt. Caudle stands out against the simple costumes of the rest of the cast. And with an astute sense of comic timing and expression, he serves as effective fool and foil for the other characters, and as commentator for the audience on the events taking place around him.

As a production, then, Life is a Dream strives hard, and occasionally succeeds in bringing its magic to life, particularly with the aid of Bradford's strong performance. But as a work of drama, for all its aspirations, the play never really manages to cast a lasting spell. For the moment, at least, Shakespeare's reputation is quite secure.